Christmas

December 1990

It's a few days before Christmas and with the school off for the holidays, Brian is spending some time with all his children taking them ice skating. Roger is meeting them there with his two.

Once they're at the ice rink, Jimmy and Felix go off on their own as do Emily and Louisa but Rory happily takes responsibility for Alyssia.

Brian helped Emily with her skates then helps Alyssia get her skates on while Roger does the same for Rory. "You sure you don't want me to come out with you," Brian asks his youngest once her skates are on. Roger and Brian have decided against skating since Christmas is not far away and they don't want to break anything.

Alyssia shakes her head putting her gloves on then takes Rory's hand, "I'll look after her, Uncle Brian," Rory smiles, tugging her cousin towards the ice opening.

"I think someone is ready for that big sister role," Brian mutters, sitting next to Roger, watching Rory lead Alyssia around the ice without much difficulty, he's surprised to see.

Roger's new girlfriend Debbie, is 5 and a half months pregnant, "So do I," Roger huffs, "Though I think she wants a sister more than a brother."

They watch the kids in silence for a while, "Has someone been teaching Lissy to skate?" Roger frowns pointing to his niece.

"No," Brian watches Alyssia and sees that she is now pulling Rory around the ice rather than the other way around, "This is the first time she's ever been skating."

"Then I think you need to get her some lessons." He's right, Alyssia doesn't look phased by the people skating around her or the potential of falling over.

She looks to be in her element. He continues to watch her, letting his mind drift and wondering what she'll be like at school.

At the age of one, Alyssia is as developed and alert as a two-year-old. Walking is something she took to with ease and he wonders if skating might be the same.

He tells Anita about it at dinner that night once Alyssia is in bed, "Ice skating?" Anita checks she's heard him right, "Well I never, I suppose everyone has a talent perhaps this is hers. I'm surprised it's skating though, it doesn't run in my family."

"Nor mine," But Brian can tell something else has her concerned, she stays quiet eating her food but Brian can almost hear the cogs turning in her brain, "What are you thinking about?"

"You're right, she is quite developed in most areas but what about her speech? Do you think she's behind? She doesn't talk much."

He can understand where she's coming from, Alyssia is a quiet one, "I don't think so. Louisa and Emily's speech developed quickly but I think that's because they both had older siblings to interact with. Jimmy was like Alyssia though, walking and alertness he developed quickly put talking took a little longer. But as soon as he started nursery that faded, I think Alyssia will be the same."

"I suppose she is only one and a bit, I just feel like her infant stage flashed before our eyes," Perhaps she's just not ready for Alyssia to grow up but Anita knows he's right, she'll develop in her own time.

------

Tomorrow is Christmas day and it's going to be a big one. Everyone is going to Freddie's for Christmas, in the back of their minds, they realise that this will probably be his last Christmas so they're going all out this year. Because of the long journey, Brian, Anita and Alyssia are sending Christmas Eve at Garden Lodge too.

Since this is the first year Alyssia is old enough to understand some of the magic of Christmas, Brian and Anita, with Freddie help have made sure to do it all correctly.