"No one would dare to kill the crown prince's mate."

"Just like no one would dare to kill the king? What have we been working towards for over a decade? Your relationship with Aaron is not going to protect you. If anything, it's going to put you at greater risk. A Shadow Walker on the throne? Come on, J. No one is going to accept that."

Jade's chest constricted at the mention of a throne, but she shook it off. "If it ever comes to that, then they will have to."

"You realise we're talking about the Royal Wolves here, don't you? No one is more stuck in their ways than they are. They hate change, and this is a change they're not ready for."

Jade sighed and walked to the window, digging her nails into the sill. It was a beautiful morning – slightly chilly, but with lots of sun. She might go for a run later, to clear her mind. She wondered if Aaron was going to come visit, but she doubted it. He'd said he'd give her a few days to think about it. She rather hoped he wouldn't show. When he returned, he'd want an answer.

"What is my alternative? If I want him, I have no choice but to adapt to his lifestyle. The only other option is to reject him."

"Then there is your answer."

Jade twirled back around. "You're telling me to reject him? Would you reject Austin if I told you to?"

"I'm not telling you to do anything, and you know I would have rejected Austin ages ago if I had been able. But this isn't about the cause. This isn't even about duty. This is about keeping you safe."

Jade breathed a chuckle – one that had no humour in it but lots of irony. "Aaron says I'll only be safe if I go with him, and you say I'll only be safe if I don't. In short, I'm not safe anywhere."

"Have we ever been?" Ryleigh sat down on the desk chair, with her stomach towards the backrest. She crossed her arms over the top and rested her head on her wrists. "If you're going to do this, you have to be careful."

For a second, Jade thought she'd heard her wrong. "You're saying I can go?"

"Goddess, Jade. I'm not your mother. I know I tend to be a bit controlling, but I don't make your decisions. I've been trying pretty hard to get that through your thick skull. If you want to go, of course you can go. But you'll be on your own."

"I'll have Aaron."

"No, you won't, because he's never going to see that his own people might hurt you. He's never going to understand how much you don't fit in there. He wants this too much. He's blind to everything else."

Jade glanced back at the window. No matter how much she didn't want to acknowledge it, Ryleigh had a point.

Ryleigh lifted her head from her arms. "You didn't ask for advice, but I'm going to give you some anyway. There's a few things you need to remember when you're there. Never forget them. First of all, you're a Shadow Walker. At least for now. That means you'll be our representative. Whatever you do, reflects back on us. That means you cannot allow them to make you a laughing stock. We're survivors – killers; fighters. No one gets to disrespect us."

"Right." Jade chocked a brow. "Since when do you care about what the Royal Wolves think of us?"

"I don't. I just care about protecting our kin's memory. Besides, even if you weren't a Shadow Walker, the advice would still be solid: Don't let them disrespect you. That means holding your head up. Always. You don't look down for anybody. And it means showing them how powerful you are. Don't let them see you as the girl who's not in control – the girl you think you are. Let them see the most powerful werewolf alive – the woman I know you are. And if anyone – anyone ­– disrespects you, you have to act immediately. From day one, you need to build a reputation of yourself as someone who will not tolerate anyone messing with her. You're a mind-controller, for Goddess' sake. Make a statement."