Chapter 8- Christmas Came in September

Start from the beginning

"I didn't know what would happen, which is why we should've left while we still could!" Susan retaliated.

"He would've come back on his own." James added. "He's like the rest of us. He was curious. With or without us, he was going back there."

"Like you've helped." His eldest sister pushed. "Really."

"Stop it!" Lucy shouted, angrily. She was almost never angry. "This isn't going to help Edmund."

"She's right." Mr Beaver nodded. "Only Aslan can help your brother now."

"Then we're finding Aslan." James told them all.

Peter added. "Take us to him."

They rushed back to the Beaver's dam where everything happened so quickly. James couldn't remember a time where he felt more afraid: bombing raids were nothing compared to the possible fear of his brother being lost. How did people cope with death and loss so easily?

The wolves had began a chase as they made their way back. That was only the beginning of their problems.

"Hurry, Mother! They're after us!" Mr Beaver had shouted, pushing through his home.

"Oh, right then." Mrs Beaver began to totter about, taking things from her cupboards and putting them into a basket.

"What is she doing?" Peter asked.

The eldest smirked: he knew what she was doing. "Being clever."

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry." Susan began to aid the animal with packing things, so James joined too. The sooner they could leave, the better.

"Peter's the same." James muttered to her, causing a soft laugh.

"I'm cranky now!" Beaver replied.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan questioned.

"Only if the witch serves toast." Replied James, pushing another cloth covered meal into a basket.

Suddenly the sound of barking filled the air. They fell silent. A scratching came onto the wood, their paws breaking through.

"Follow me." Mr Beaver hurried, opening a small door. "Its a tunnel."

The beavers were getting cooler by the minute.

The Pevensie's pushed themselves into the passage way, James, being last, closed the door behind them. Then they ran. They had to. If they didn't run, then they'd be caught.

It was a dimly lit, muddy route, but that was the last thing on James' mind. The first was getting out. How long did they have to travel? If it was too far then they might not make it. He shook his head. They had to make it.

"Badger and me dug this. It leads straight to his place." Mr Beaver said, leading the way.

"You told me it lead to your mum's!"

Lucy fell as they ran, and James managed to catch her so she didn't hit her head. "Lucy!" Susan gasped and quiet fell.

The barking echoed louder in the silence. "They're in the tunnel." The youngest exclaimed.

"Quick! This way!" Mr Beaver hurried.

"Hurry!" Mrs Beaver said.

"Run!" Said Peter.

"Stop saying 'run'!" James called from the back, frustrated. "I know what to do! I am older than you!"

"Not the time!" Was his brothers reply.