Cared.

CW: Very brief implication of child abuse
Song that inspired this chapter: Sad F*ck by Ryan Mack

Regulus fiddled with the note.
He paced up and down, waiting for Kreacher to finish his late-night duties. 'I know I will be dead long before you read this'
True enough.
Regulus went to push open the door of his bedroom but stopped himself short. He wandered around his childhood room and brushed his finger against the walls and the spines of the books on floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, as if to make sure his presence left a mark.
'Why do you bother with so many books, Reg?'
'Because he's cultured, little cousin.'
'Oh shove off, Cissy.' 9-year old Sirius stuck out his tongue, grinning as Narcissa laughed.

He pushed open his heavy wooden door and walked out of the room. He watched the house-elves' heads cast shadows on the ground and grimaced.
'They scare me, Bella!'
"Oh c'mon, dear cousin, I know how brave you can be." Bella ruffled Reg''s hair.'
He stood on the landing, letting his eyes skate over the entrance hall, which never held any good memories. His gaze flicked over the many black painted doors and began to walk towards one. The piano room.
He sat on the piano bench, splaying his fingers on the keys though careful not to apply any weight. He did not want to wake his parents.
'"Don't cry, Reg, don't cry" came the slightly panicky voice of Sirius Black, "You know Mother and Father hate it when you cry. Just play, Regulus, just play."'
'Just play, Regulus, just play.'
Why was this a happy memory again? Ah yes, because Sirius had cared.
He wished Sirius would care now but he didn't. Would he mourn Regulus? No, probably not. But he was not doing this for the returned love he had spent too much of his life being manipulated for. He was doing it for the people he loved. Because more than magic, more than anything, Regulus cared about people.
He cared about the muggles on the street, he cared about the muggleborns and half bloods who were insulted more and more readily everyday, and damn it all to Merlin he cared about Sirius.
That was part of what made being Regulus Black so hard. Even now he was R. A. B., it was hard.
As either of the two he had had to hate someone he loved, to fit in, to be right. But he'd never been able to do it. First with Sirius, who had 'betrayed them' and 'befouled the name of Black' and now with his wicked cousins. He loved Bellatrix Black-Lestrange, who's acts became more heinous everyday, acts he now knew with certainty to be wrong. He loved Narcissa Black-Malfoy, who's well thought-out rants about blood purity, muggles, muggleborns and half-bloods, inspired such acts that made even she herself cover her mouth in distaste. They made Regulus want to throw up.
But no matter how he tried and tried, he could not stop loving them. Because they would always be Bella and Cissy. And so, Reggie Black would always be a bad person but as long as he tried, well...he had tried.
He was doing this for all of them wether or not they would do the same, wether or not they deserved it.
He got up and exited the room. He looked at his parents' door but all it whispered was 'Crucio!' so he rushed by it. He did not love them. He did not care about them.
Kreacher appeared at his elbow with his long black cloak and Slytherin scarf in his gnarled old hands. He had a concerned expression on his face as he offered them up, and Regulus noticed this, because he cared about Kreacher.
"Thank you, Kreacher," he said, accepting his belongings, "your nightly duties are finished?" At a nod from the elf, Regulus smiled, "Splendid."
Then he knelt down at eye-level with Kreacher, placing his long-fingered hand over the elf's small one. "Listen, Kreacher, you have been a good and loyal friend, and I am proud to be counted among yours. If you wish to stay here I will not hold it against you."
The elf's eyes widened, then brimmed with tears, he shook his head so vehemently that his ears flapped. "I is wanting to go with Master Regulus, Sir, I is wanting to make sure Master Regulus is safe!" Regulus felt his own eyes fill with tears and he hugged his friend tightly. Finally, he stood up, wiped his tears and nodded at Kreacher. "Well then, shall we go."
The CRACK of disapparation woke Walburgar and Orion Black, but by then it was too late, they were already gone.
And Regulus Acturus Black would never come back again.