No, I don't expect to single-handedly figure out where she went or what might have happened to her. But, I feel like she would do this for me if the roles were reversed.

So, where to start?

Right.

She leaves for Freed's late Saturday morning. 

She completes her shift at 3 and leaves for her second job shortly after. 

She reaches the second job, her coworkers see and greet her, and then she suddenly leaves again. Without telling anyone where she's going, or why.

And at the end of the day, her car is found at the apartment, and she's not.

This is a nightmare.

I slide down to the floor with my back to the wall, inviting Red to come running over and sprawl across my legs. 

And I sit there for a while, just petting him and hoping she's okay, and that she'll be found, and that whoever took her will get what he deserves.

Because that's how it's looking, isn't it? She's without her car, she had her phone, and now she's just...gone.

It's like how Vaughn described Ethan disappearing, actually. Just...without a trace as to where he went.

...This couldn't be related to that whole thing, right? I mean, yeah, she was really interested in that case, but that doesn't necessarily mean she figured anything out and drew the attention of whoever was responsible. Right? She wouldn't have confronted anyone dangerous alone, either.

I run my hands down my face before sighing once more.

I don't know. I'm not a detective, and I'm at a loss. Right now, it's looking like the only way I could ever help to find her is the same way I found that SD card in Chickaloon.

By chance. A total accident. Being nostalgic and being lucky. Nothing else.

By the time Monday morning comes, Malee's been missing for over a complete day. 

I keep hoping for a call from her, or from the police saying that she's been found, but the only times my phone rings are when Vaughn and Jasmine check up on everything. 

What could have happened to her?

I don't know, none of her other friends know, the police don't know. No one knows.

Standing in the kitchen, I pull on my jacket and grab my purse. After being home alone with Red, I'm reluctant to leave him, but I'm sure it will be fine. I hope.

And with that, I pet him goodbye, step out of the apartment, and lock the door behind me.

Everything at the bank goes smoothly, and I treat myself to warm coffee on the drive back to the apartment. I have a couple of hours before I have to go in to work at Freed's, so I think I'll just read a book or something until the time's up.

Unlocking the door, I'm horrifically greeted with a mess.

At first glance, stepping inside, it would appear that Red has shredded some things and scattered them across the apartment.

And after setting down my things on the countertop and looking through each room, that would appear to be completely correct.

I find the culprit himself in Malee's room, of all places, curled up on the floor beside her bed. Nothing of hers has been shredded.

Oh, God.

I can't even be mad anymore.

After Malee and I left Saturday, and only one of us came home, and with all of my stress and crying, he must, somehow in his own way, have understood that something is wrong.