XII

CHAPTER TWELVE: LIGHT DANCES

The long grass is still touched with morning dew as Vaughn finishes loading up his bag in the back of the truck and turns to walk back to the cabin. In the distance, he can see Zeke and Si as he lifts her from her wheelchair into her kayak before they set out by themselves for a while. She says something and he laughs, tilting his head back.

Vaughn smiles. Before, all he seemed to remember was the look on her face the moment she got told the news about Penny. And about their mother. And every time their father added on to that pain. He's glad to see Siara happy after all these years.

He finds his mind drifting to Mikaere, and at how he was surprised to learn that Tommy had hired her at Freed's. He finds himself feeling grateful to him, knowing that offering her that job probably influenced her decision to stay here.

Stepping into the cabin, he's surprised but nonetheless pleased to see she is already awake. He had assumed she would sleep in, like Tommy is doing, but instead, she's in the kitchen.

"Morning," Mikaere calls over her shoulder to him as she makes coffee, offering a small smile. She's not yet dressed for the day, wearing an oversized navy blue t-shirt and black sweatpants.

He pauses, taking in the scene. With the two of them, in a cabin alone again - if one could ignore Tommy's snoring in the background - it would be so easy to get hit with a wave of nostalgia and familiarity. It feels longer than a few months since they were both in the cabin at Chickaloon. "Morning."

"Did they wake up at 5 to go kayaking like they claimed they were gonna last night?"

He shakes his head, then remembers her back is to him. He blames it on just recently waking up as he moves into the kitchen. "No, they're just getting out there now."

She nods, acknowledging his statement.

"So, breakfast?" He suggests.

"Sure, what are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking I don't want eggs again, but what do you want?"

"...Pancakes?" She suggests hesitantly, hopefully, and without really thinking about it, he nods.

"Pancakes sound good."

Without a care to Tommy's sleep schedule, he rummages around a lower cupboard for one of their portable radios. Once he finds it, he puts it on a channel and volume he thinks she'll like, verifying it by glancing at her. At the sight of her silently mouthing along to the words, he relaxes, moving to take out everything they'll need to make their breakfast. She goes to get the mixing bowl and utensils.

It doesn't take long to make the actual batter, with both of them measuring out the few ingredients and contributing at the same time. But then as he mixes it, he becomes acutely aware of her a few feet away, listening to the song. Because she begins to dance. He pauses, glancing at her, watching as she just sort of sways for a moment in the beam of light that's bled through the window, before smoothly gliding across the floor over to him.