Chapter 32: Unexpected Arrivals

Start from the beginning

"I will."

Her mouth opened as she realised she had missed the minister's question to Gabriel. He had answered promptly and was now watching her intently. Was it her turn? She tried to pay attention, but her nerves were so frazzled she couldn't quite tell. But the minister was definitely looking at her as if waiting for her to reply.

"I will," she said, hoping it was the correct part of the ceremony.

The minister had them hold hands and recite their vows. She wished she could read the emotion in Gabriel's green eyes as he repeated the words, but she was too caught up in her own guilt and misery to do so. His hands on hers were warm, comforting. Maybe he didn't blame her. Maybe he blamed Fontaine. A ring appeared, and Gabriel gently put it on her finger. She expected it to be of the same quality as her dress and flowers. Perhaps a piece of string. But it was a beautiful gold ring with a green gem.

Her eyes flew to Gabriel's, hoping for an explanation, but he was still holding onto the ring on her finger as the minister spoke. Calmly, he repeated the words, his gaze not leaving hers.

"With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

The words knocked the breath from her body. They were forced upon them, and yet... Hearing Gabriel say them, with his hands on hers... She blinked as her eyes burned, grateful when they were made to kneel in front of the minister. She didn't want Gabriel to see how foolish she was being. It's not real. The reminder did little to calm her. Maybe the last week had simply been too eventful. She inhaled as the minister continued his prayer. When he joined their hands again, she saw Gabriel look down at her, and noticing her damp eyelashes, his face fell.

His hand around hers squeezed. Trying to comfort her. Despite it all being her fault. She tried to give him an encouraging smile, but the minister scowled and she quickly schooled her features into something bland and accommodating.

The ceremony felt like it went on forever, but finally they received their holy communion and could prepare to leave. Fontaine and his men followed closely behind as they walked down the centre aisle. Exiting the church was when she would have had the villagers of Bridlewood—the local parish where she grew up—wait outside to shower her with seeds and rice, and congratulations. As they left the church now, it was nothing like that. No one even knew they were getting married. No banns had been read. No family or friends informed.

Gabriel pushed the heavy doors open, the bright sunlight blinding her for a moment. She yelped as a hand grabbed her and pulled her to the side. Instinctively, she fought back, trying to free herself, but the man pulled her close and held her tight as he dragged her away from the church. The sounds of shouting and bodies moving followed them as they disappeared around the corner. Her struggle intensified. She needed to see what was going on.

"Calm down, Nick!" a familiar voice hissed in her ear.

Her body went limp with shock, and she stared up at the man holding her. "John?"

John Osborne. Her friend. What was he doing here? Expecting her question, he released her and smiled wryly. "I work for the War Office. Winterbourne alerted us to your predicament, and we came as soon as we could. I can only apologise that we did not make it before the wedding."

She blinked. Opened her mouth to speak. Then closed it again. John? Working for the War Office?

"Is everyone a bloody spy?" she finally blurted out, rewarding her with a warm chuckle.

"No," he said. "Not everyone, I imagine."

"How did Winterbourne know?" she asked, trying to make sense of a world that still felt like someone had flipped it on its axis.