Part title

Monte sat leant against the fence, his head hanging down in exhaustion. He looked so frail and weak. Crouching beside him, Lucy looked left and right. Not a single car. She sighs and takes his hand in hers "I'm sorry Monte..." she murmurs "this is a-all my fault" she hisses, hands fidgeting.

Monte used his last bit of strength to shake his head "no Lucy..." was all he said.

She observed how his eyelids didn't open once, the way his breathing sounded funny and how his voice was raspy. Her attention shifted from his pained breathing to the distant sound of a car approaching. Springing out into the road, Lucy flinched as the car screeched to a halt, the horn beeping loudly. She desperately signalled for the driver to open the door, sighing in relief as he did so.

"Please would you be so kind to drive me and my...brother to the um...nearest town" the driver stared at her blankly before laying eyes on the weak man leaned against the fence.

"Please it's an emergency" she added. The driver grunted, nodding. She smiled "thank you so much" she went to help Monte up, leading him into the back of the car before sitting beside him.

Monte leaned against the window, shaking a little from the big movement to the car. Lucy peered over at him, nervously as the car owner resumed his driving.

She turned pale in concern as she observed Monte's sunken eyes burning into the back of the driver's neck. Moaning softly, Monte adjusted himself in the seat. Lucy could tell how hungry he was for the man, reaching over and taking his hand to distract him. Monte diverted his attention to Lucy briefly as she held his hand, before looking back at the driver.

Lucy kept his cool hand in hers for the majority of the car ride, noticing how Monte occasionally licked over his dry lips. His hand frequently squeezed Lucy's, almost as though he was trying to tell her something via morse code. She took a moment to glance out the window, still seeing grassland as far as her eyes could see.

The driver broke the amicable silence "What's your situation?" he spoke, Southern accent. Lucy stared at Monte as she nervously gnawed at her nails. Her eyes watered, seeing he was completely out of it. His eyes were open, unmoving. Nobody home. Lucy leaned over to give him a shake "Monte" she hissed, hoping he would become more alert. He let out a low whine, closing his eyes.

She sighed at her pathetic attempt, leaning back into the seat in concern "my brother has...a rare disease" she fabricated, rubbing her sleeve between her thumb and forefinger.

"Oh really?" the driver replied, urging her to continue. She caught him staring at her curiously in the rear-view mirror. Lucy coughed, nodding "yeah...he...gets hungry often and has low blood sugar levels..." she mumbles. Hearing Monte wheeze, she quickly focused on him. Lucy frowned once she discovered he was laughing at her, nudging him ever so slightly.

Monte shook his head weakly, his smile slowly fading as he locked eyes on the back of the drivers head, licking his lips. His stomach growled loudly, his pupils shrinking in size as he gripped at the car seat.

Lucy took a deep breath, frantically looking around for anything to help him as she knew that the generous man would be consumed in only a short matter of time.

Monte was getting ever closer to the driver, his breathing raspy and desperate. Without a second thought, Lucy flung her arm to her teeth, using them to tear into her skin. She muffled her yelps, her eyes watering as she slowly exposed her bleeding wound to Monte.

Monte diverted his attention to Lucy's arm, the fresh open cut smelling heavenly to him. He took her trembling limb and started to suck at the wound, nibbling needfully as he made small whimpering noises.

Lucy laid back, squeezing her eyes shut as she attempted to endure the agony. It would be fine. She was doing the right thing.