The Getaway

After swapping positions, Lucy successfully reversed from the situation and carefully manoeuvred through the winding streets until they had left the dodgy area. Swearing under his breath, Monte twisted in his seat, pulling himself toward the back seat as he grabbed her hat. He placed it on her head, receiving an annoyed look from Lucy as she rolled her eyes.

Coming up to a busy junction Monte placed his glasses back on, leaning back in the seat. Lucy spotted a police car waiting nearby at the lights and her breath haltered, knuckles turning white as she squeezed the wheel in anticipation. Monte noticed her behaviour "keep your head down Luce" he muttered, doing the same.

She did as he asked, her head tilting slightly. Her panicking distracted her from the fact the light had turned green, the car behind her loudly honking as a guy stuck his head out from the window "fucking move it already!" He shouted. Lucy didn't respond, her eyes tearing up as her foot froze above the accelerator. Still looking down, Monte kicked her gently "what are you doing Lucy? You're creating a scene" he hissed, clearly irritated. She slammed her foot down on the gas, speeding forward as she yelled at him "like you could do any better, Monte!"

He shuts up, fiddling with his watch awkwardly. The tears fell from Lucy's face onto her lap as she navigated further and further from the crime scene, the image of Monte shooting and eating innocent people burned into the back of her mind. Monte observed the tears falling from the woman's face and the guilt inside him hurt his soul. He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out, his eyes sad at how he had caused her so much suffering.

They soon reached a quieter part of New York which consisted of a few old bars and shops. Monte hadn't dared to interrupt her whilst driving. Instead, he tended to the rat, gently kissing her and stroking her as she nestled in his lap. Lucy glanced at the rat, before concentrating back on the road again. She worried about the police and what they'd do to Monte. Is she part of this too? Involved in the murder? The thought terrified her. She was in no state to drive, but anything was better than Monte's driving.

Monte reached into the back of the vehicle, grabbing a bag and removing a clean coat from it. He tugged off the bloodstained coat, tossing it into the back as he pulled on the fresh one. He looked over her clothing, noticing some blood on the fabric of her coat "oh darling" he took the coat between his finger and thumb "you've got some...." He rubbed at the stain, not being able to remove the dried blood. She shoots him a furious look.

"Ill get you a new one, love..." he mumbles, pulling away from the uncomfortable woman.

The night soon drew in, the road ahead turning darker as she persevered forward, forcing her eyes to stay open. Her hand slipping off the wheel, she quickly replaced it and carried on straight. Monte saw her struggle "Lucy?" He asked, the rat fast asleep on his lap. She ignored him, too focussed on driving. A few minutes later, her head fell forward and the car swerved dangerously, Monte quickly grabbing the wheel to reposition it "LUCY!" He yelled, nudging her harshly with his knee. She slipped back into reality with a gasp, taking the wheel from him as she sweated at the close call.

"Pull the hell over" he ordered, pointing to the side of the road. She slowed the car, braking as she lined up at the side. "Let me try again Lucy" he whispers, pulling her hands off the wheel. She fought against him "n-no...Monte you can't drive..." she yawns. He shushes her "it's okay Lucy I've been paying attention" he smirks, watching her just nod. She yawned again, letting him take her hands from the wheel.

He placed the rat on the dashboard and lifted her exhausted body from the seat, placing her where he had sat as he climbed into the drivers seat. Monte pressed at the buttons, turning on the radio. He shook his head each time he flicked through the stations before pausing at the sound of jazz music and leaving it on. Lucy relaxed further at the sound of the saxophone, closing her eyes fully and starting to fall asleep. Glancing at Lucy's slouched body, Monte stroked through her hair lovingly before moving the gear stick and pressing the pedals correctly, slowly moving forward.

Monte soon mastered driving, feeling proud of himself. He vibrated along with the music, feeling relaxed at the lack of cars around them. He frequently checked over Lucy. Seeing her asleep and looking so peaceful made him smile a little as he accelerated. His stomach growled as he thought about his victim laying the trunk of the car...