67. Some Faces Are Just So Easy To Trust!

Start from the beginning

"He is not that dangerous."

He stared at me for a couple of seconds before he laughed in disbelief. "So that's what this is all about? You're trying to protect him!"

"Why would I try to protect him?"

He pushed himself off the pillar and stomped towards me. "You think he is just a misunderstood lunatic. You want to save him too when you can't save yourself. Or your mother."

Tears stung my eyes. "You're being mean right now."

He sighed and ran a hand through his head. "Just listen to me once. Let's go to the police."

He started walking away. "Brian won't like it."

He stopped, and looked at me in disbelief. "Not even when your mother is kidnapped by a potential psychopath?"

"He doesn't trust the police."

He shook his head. "This is not the time to play the trust game."

He continued walking and I chased after him. "You don't understand. You're gonna trigger his bad memories and he is going to get a panic attack. Everything will be even more out of control."

He frowned in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

I sighed and tried to suppress the pain in my chest. "My father died in an accident. The car burst right in front of his eyes and he almost died in it. He was interrogated a lot by the police since he was very close to it. Ever since then he gets triggered whenever the police are involved."

His face lit up like he had finally realised something. "That's why the police were not involved even during the first time?"

I nodded. "My mother suggested getting the police involved when I was in the hospital. She wanted to get the man who ruined me, but the mere mention of bringing police men had triggered a severe panic attack in him. So please.." My throat choked up. "No police."

He sighed again. "Okay. What do you suggest that we do then? We have to at least inform Brian what is happening now."

"Do we?"

He glared at me. "It's better we tell him now than have him come home later to find out on his own. I don't want to held accountable for hiding one more thing."

I pulled out my phone and dialled his number hoping that he wouldn't answer it. The phone rang a few times before I heard a voice. My heart clomped my wind pipe.

'The number you're calling right now is unavailable to take your call. Please try again later."

I sighed in relief.

"What happened?" Daniel asked.

"He did not answer the call." He narrowed his eyes at me. "Why do you seem so relieved about that?"

I composed myself. "I am not. I am just worried about where he is right now that he is unable to attend the call."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Shouldn't you be worried about where your mother is right now?"

I glared at him. "I am. I just don't know what to do now."

"What about searching for her in places she might often go to?"

"Mary already searched for there. She wouldn't be there."

"She searched for her, but she didn't investigate if she had been there; or if someone had seen her with someone."

"You mean.."

He nodded. "We're going to investigate the kidnapping case of Mrs. Annie Marie. Now let's get going."