Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"You look pretty," he tells her with a toothy grin.

"You do too." Hers falls when she hears her own words. They lock eyes. "I mean you look – handsome. I'm sorry."

"I know what you meant. Don't worry; I'm not offended," Andrés assures her, and while her gaze returns to their Polaroid, his lingers on her lips.

As she turns to face him, he leans in, and his soft lips touch hers. He pulls away, her heart fluttering and her eyes trapped in the clutches of his.

"I should – go," she mumbles, but before she can get off his twin bed, he steals another kiss from her, and she lets him. When Manuel sees them, he folds his arms and stands at the door. He casts a glance to his right at the falafel tray in their trash can.

Why aren't you stopping him? Do something. Say something!

When Andrés' mouth trails her jawline to her neck, she slides out from under him and stands on the floor.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes, and they both turn to look at Manuel. He's looking at them with his right brow raised. "What're you doing?"

"Well, I was coming back to get my bag before my class, and I didn't want to interrupt you two love birds." He strolls toward his bed, and Judith passes him on the way to the arch. Before she crosses the threshold, he says, "When you're done, remember to tell Jerome you're not interested in him. He won't shut up about you, and if you two are fucking, then he shouldn't be strung along."

Andrés speaks to him in their mother tongue, and she throws her pastry in the trash before walking into the hall when Manuel responds dismissively. She approaches the stairs as Jerome, Khalíd, and Eric ascend them.

"Hey," he greets her, and she stops in front of them.

"Can you move so we can pass? I need to get my bag." Khalíd and Eric continue down the hall when she takes a step to the left. She directs her gaze at them.

"Are you okay," he asks, and she scoffs then turns to him. Judith wipes her weary eyes.

"I'm fine. Just tired, I suppose," Judith says, and he narrows his eyes at her in thought.

"You say that a lot," he reminds her. Manuel returns to the hall, and he watches him approach.

"And you ask me if I'm okay a lot." He doesn't respond, and she takes a breath. "I'm fine. Thank you for asking and caring."

"Goose," Manuel lets out through a forced cough, and her hands curl into fists. She glares at him with irritation, and she wants to push him.

"Cut it out, or you're off the team," Jerome threatens with his head turned to him. He stares at Jerome, unsure if he's serious, then he glances at Judith and descends to the first floor.

"Thank you." Her hands relax as she huffs a breath to calm herself. He responds with a nod.

"Can I ask you something?" She nods yes, and Khalíd and Eric return to the stairwell.

"See you in class, 'Rome," Eric tells him, and he gestures his chin up to signal his approval. They follow Manuel out of their frat house.

"Why're you kicking it with that sleazeball, David, if he's putting his hands on you," he asks her, and she folds her arms.

"That's none of your business." He purses his lips and nods, his gaze fixed on the railing in his right hand. "Especially seeing that you and your band of geeks didn't help me or Mary."

"For your information, I did want to help," he tells her with a sharp tone, dismissing her insult.

"Yeah, well, what stopped you? If you say that David scared you, then I'll lose respect for you." She waits for his response, but he merely stares at her, his jaw slightly dropped, as he mulls over what she said.