Part Fourteen: Hiding

(A/N- so technically for the time period I am writing this story, the pyramids haven't even been built yet... or the sphynx... 13th dynasty of Ancient Egypt- I've done my research. I thought the picture was cool though. -Just ignore the pyramids or not- I might be wrong... *Symbolism note! In ancient Egypt: Red=Life and Evil, Black=Good and can also mean life and also means death, White=Pure)
Chapter 24

~Isis~

What feels like an eternity after my wedding, I sit on the bank of the Nile. The water is running as smoothly as ever, the River God obviously unaffected by Seth's coup de tat. I look at the knife in my hands, and study the embellished weapon. I trace the elegantly cut emeralds that are gilted along the hilt with the tips of my finger. My name, Isis is gently engraved on one side of the blade, and Amunet on the other. I close my eyes and remember being at home.
My mother pulls me out of bed and into the seat in front of the vanity. I am young, maybe four or five, and my hair is very long. As my mother brushes the tangles out of my long black hair, I bombard her with questions. "Why is my name Amunet? Mut?" (A/N Mut means mother, with and oo sound on the u.)
She chuckles and smiles at me. "Your name is very important. A goddess chose it for you."
"Why?"
She smiles and brushes my hair. "You will see."
"What does my name mean, Mut?"I ask again, my curiosity making me unable to sit still.
"Your name means Goddess of Mystery."

I hold my long, knee length hair in my hand. "I have so many questions that I will never be able to ask you, Mut." I throw my hair over my shoulder, and drag the enchanted knife as evenly as I can across my hair. My hair now falls barely to the small of my back. I throw the remains of my hair into the Nile and watch the strands twirl and knot in the currents.

Chapter 25

~Seth~
(A/N- again, the name is pronounced Set, the 'h' is silent)

I roll my eyes. "You idiots! I told you to find Isis, not to bring me coconuts!" I bat away the cloud spirits with my hand. They grumble thunder and poof away. Storm clouds.
It has been a little more than a month since I have had the throne. I feel powerful, and it's wonderful. I often think to myself, why was I so nice to her, when this truely is my real nature? Being king, Pharoh of them all! I laugh and throw my feet up onto the small footrest at the foot of my throne. Not soon after I had assumed power, the color scheme of the throne room changed to primarily black and red (let's be honest, it was almost all red); symbols of my power. There are now large torches holding fake flames that burn hotter and brighter than anything I've ever seen; they replace the little orbs of swirling, glowing things that once illuminated the castle.
I worry about finding Isis. She has been missing for almost a month now, and her Godly chores are left undone. She is undoubtedly one of the most powerful among all of the gods and goddesses, so she would be the only one able to upsurp me.

An authorative voice calls out to me, one of power. "My lord, Seth?" I look to see who I is. Nepythis again. When will this girl leave me alone?
"Yes, Nepythis. What do you need?" I ask, almost annoyed.
"Well I was wondering if you wanted my help, searching for Isis. I am the Goddess of all water. She couldn't have gone far from the waters, there is nothing but desert anywhere else."
She smoothes her hair. Her blue gown and headress look unsettling in comparison to the theme of the room.
"Alright." I say after a while. "You may help, but do not abandon your duties. I belive the yearly flood is due anytime now, correct?"
"It is. When I flood the banks, it will help me to expand my search parameters, and I will be able to find her. Does your offer still stand?" She asks with curiosity. "Do you remember your offer?"
I groan on the inside. I had forgotten about this deal I found. "If a goddess would be able to find Isis, I would make her my bride. If a god found her, I would make him the Captian of my guard. Yes, it still stands, Nepythis. Do you not have a river to flood?"
She smiles and waltzes out of the Great Room.