Chapter 5

Honey, this mirror isn’t big enough for the two of us

Hunter was walking from side to side in his living-room, dithering whether to call the police or not. He knew it was probably something stupid to do. But it was nearly six in the afternoon, and she hadn’t come back yet. She didn’t answer her mobile, and he didn’t know where Zane had taken her, so the worry and guilt in the pit of his stomach were starting to grow bigger.

What would he tell Blake if Rome had disappeared from his house? He was supposed to take care of her, and still, she was missing. What if something bad had happened to her? He didn’t want to talk to Dalton, but he even considered calling him to ask for his uncle’s number and check if Zane knew something about her.

His night had been fun at a pool room in Hoboken, but he had waited for her to arrive awake after making her bed, reading a book, and fallen asleep with the text over his lap. She still wasn’t home when he woke up, and there was no sign that she’d stopped by. He hadn’t wanted to call on her mobile, but at last he had because the anxiety made him feel sick. Rome didn’t know New Jersey and she could’ve gotten lost easily.

He had taken off the sheets from the sofa bed angrily, called her another twenty times and cursed with every word he knew.

Zane had made a few sandwiches but she hadn’t woken up, so he had eaten them all by himself. They were tasty. But Zane was starting to worry. It was five in the afternoon and she was breathing, deeply asleep on his bed.

Would that Hunter guy be angry? His name was a little scary, what if he freaked out and—

Rome looked very pretty under the pale natural light of the clouded day. The cold sweat had dried from her skin, but her loose shirt was still added to her flesh. Her loops were a cute mess, sprawled all over Zane’s pillow.

He had done his best to take her into a cab and the driver had taken them to his house, since he didn’t know where Rome lived and doubted she’d be able to tell him. She had kept rambling for a while until she fell deeply asleep on his bed, and he lay next to her after changing into a pair of sweat shorts and taking off his shirt.

The heat had been unbearable nearly six in the morning, but the air conditioner would’ve made them sick, so he had turned on the fan and allowed himself to fall into unconsciousness as well.

The party at Archer’s had been amazingly fun, and Rome had gotten along with all of his friends, especially with Reagan, who seemed to have some kind of magnet for girls; they always liked her. Maybe it had something to do with her being gay. Zane doubted Rome had known Reagan was gay until she kissed her, and even then, he doubted Rome would remember. Besides, Reagan had only done that to save Rome from an unwanted blow job.

Saige had been jammed as much as everybody in that party, yet she hadn’t attempted to be with Zane. He wanted to believe she just forgot where the hell she was, but even if they all had been sober and clean, she wouldn’t have tried anything. He only wished he knew why everything had ended.

Rome opened her eyes to find out she didn’t know where she was. Enumerating the facts from the night before, she knew she had gone to a party with Zane, she had been introduced to a couple of people and had taken a few pills when she was already drunk.

Apart from that, her memory didn’t go further. She didn’t remember hooking up with some random guy and going to his apartment, and especially, she didn’t remember leaving the party.

Looking around, the plain white walls were covered in music posters, and realization hit her head when she saw a few pictures on the walls as well. It was Zane’s bedroom, she could tell.