Chapter 1

Honey, this mirror isn’t big enough for the two of us

Although the rain was pouring heavily, the air was still steamy and hot. She wasn’t used to what that amount of humidity could do to her natural waves, but she wouldn’t admit she didn’t like it, because after all, she was escaping California’s weather.

Newark Liberty International Airport was so crowded it was suffocating despite the air conditioner. Right after getting her luggage, she queued for a cab and waited impatiently until it was her turn to get into a yellow car. The driver helped her put her baggage on the backseat and then he returned to the driver’s seat to wait for her instructions.

She told him the address and then sighed. She could never get much sleep on airplanes and this was no exception; she was exhausted.

“We’re here, kid.” The taxi driver startled her a while after. It hadn’t been a long ride.

“Is this Newark?” She asked vibrantly as she looked for a bill in her wallet.

“This is Irvington. Newark is across 17th Ave,” He explained as she handed him the money, and once he’d given her the change, she opened the door and took out her luggage by herself.

“Thanks, bye!” She smiled.

“Night, kid.” He said dryly before taking the curb and disappearing. The rain was soaking her clothes and bags, so she rushed to the 226th apartment; the one on the corner. It was a one floor house, with another apartment above it but they didn’t share the entrance.

 “Who is it?” He said as the door opened after she knocked loudly. He was frowning; of course he didn’t expect her.

“Hey,” She smiled brightly, unconsciously arching her eyebrows at the surprise. He’d changed a lot in eight years. And so did she.

“Um… hey,” It sounded more like a question. “Can I help you?”

Okay, not expected, she thought but rolled her eyes.

“It’s me,” She let out a short laugh of disbelief. “Rome.”

He had to think for a while before his brain made synapses.

“Am I being Punk’d or something?” He frowned again. Confidently, Rome walked past him through the door, carrying her luggage with some effort.

“That’s so 2003,” She giggled. “You seriously don’t recognize me?”

“Rome; as Blake’s ten year old sister, Rome?”

She could tell he still didn’t believe those words. As she nodded, his big eyes widened in amazement. “How old are you?”

“Um… eighteen?” Rome smiled. “How old are you?”

Hunter gulped and cleared his throat before answering. “Twenty-six.”

Right. She should’ve remembered he was as old as her brother. “So, how’ve you been?”

Hunter shook his head in disbelief and approached her after closing the door behind him. “Are you seriously Rome?”

“C’mon, it’s me!” She grinned. “I must look older, but that’s good, right?”

He dithered while his eyes flicked over her body and finally responded looking into her eyes. “You… um, you look good.” Hunter gulped.

“Yeah, you don’t look that bad yourself.” Rome rolled her eyes again.

“Does Blake know you’re here?” His eyes narrowed suspiciously all of a sudden. “Do your parents know…?”