Chapter 3

Honey, this mirror isn’t big enough for the two of us

 “Okay, Rome… so, how old are you?” Zane’s father motioned for her to approach the counter to sit in front of him, and his son walked to the door when a guy stepped in.

“Hi,” Rome heard him greet the man, and then focused back on Mr. Keegan.

“Eighteen,” She answered confidently. “I’m from Los Angeles, I arrived just yesterday.”

“That’s cool.”

She smiled to herself. She could already tell she was going to like this man.

“May I ask why you came to Jersey?”

“Well, I was planning to go to NYC, but I didn’t know anyone there so I came to Jersey to crash at my brother’s best friend’s house.” She explained briefly, avoiding details such as she’d ran away from home and was crashing at a man’s house she hadn’t seen in years.

“Alright. Do you have any experience?”

“I worked at an artistic photo gallery back in LA last summer, it was kinda cool.”

“Oh, someone famous?” He seemed eager to know, and her smirk grew wider.

“No, they were really talented underdogs.” She clarified, and Mr. Keegan chuckled.

“I suppose you like music,” He changed the topic.

“Totally; my older brother showed me everything he knew from Nirvana to Misfits, The White Stripes, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, Metallica… ” She summed up and the man smiled again. He was pretty cheerful, for being in his late fifties.

“Have you ever played an instrument?”

“I tried the guitar when I was like, twelve, but the fingering was deadly annoying and I quit right away. I would like to try drums, though,” Rome said thoughtfully and looked up at him, and then back at the entrance, where Zane was discussing with a customer about a Magazine. “Is it required?” She teased, and Richard Keegan stood up behind the counter.

“No, but we’ll teach you if you ever want to,” He flashed one last grin. “Wanna start tomorrow? We can talk numbers at the back.”

Rome smirked one more time and followed him.

Hunter was sitting in the driver’s seat with a cigarette in his hand, which was coming out of the window. Dalton had been trying to make it up to him for a few months now, and Hunter hated to have taken Dalton’s offer to talk to his uncle and arrange a meeting for Rome.

They had had a relationship which could’ve been easily classified as best friends, but Dalton had screwed it all up… when he screwed Hunter’s girlfriend.

Alice was the new intern a random Monday Hunter arrived to the office, and she played her cards soon after they met. But how couldn’t she? Her long legs were always visible, no matter if the cold was skin-breaking, and her skirts always matched her shoes. Hunter used to love sitting on his desk and asking her to bring coffee. Both of his addictions could get together at work and he never wasted his eyes on anyone else; for the first time in a long time, he knew what he wanted. And she seemed to want the same thing, because she took an extra shift the same day he stayed longer, and they ended up making love in his office, luckily not caught.

It wasn’t long until she claimed she wanted him to commit, although it wasn’t really necessary because he didn’t have eyes for anyone else. Going back to the start, it was ironic the way everything ended: at last, she was the one with commitment issues.