Chapter 7 ~ You're Such a Mom

It had been an hour, or so since they left Clint's safehouse and the mountains that they had to drive through were beautiful. The sun was at the perfect position to light them up with a warm, gold-ish glow. There were green trees covering them, each one a different vibrant shade. It was amazing, and Yelena found herself watching them from the window as they drove past, wishing that she could see them all the time.

"I still don't get why I can't drive," Yelena said, prying her eyes from the window and over at Clint.

"It's my car," Clint said.

Yelena sighed and slumped down in her seat, "It's my sister's mission!"

"It's my best friend's mission."

"Actually it's my mission. So can I drive?" Natasha added.

Yelena snorted, "That sounds like a terrible idea. Whenever someone else is around you can't hold stuff and we'd crash. Or when you just mess up and stop being solid, or something, boom another crash. And if you haven't noticed, we're driving next to a literal cliff."

Natasha sighed. "Fiiiine."

Yelena stared out the window again, gaping at the mountains. "They're huuuge."

"You haven't seen mountains before?" Clint asked.

"I grew up in Ohio and anywhere I did go that had mountains, didn't have mountains this big."

"Oh."

A silence fell over the car as Yelena stared out the window again. But she eventually got bored of the mountains. Being stuck in her own thoughts the whole time didn't make it the best pass of time. Then she noticed Natasha's expression. She seemed to be lost in thought.

"Natasha, what are you thinking about?" Yelena asked curiously.

"Do you think I can pick up the hammer now? I mean, I sacrificed myself. Is my ledger white now? Maybe I can pick it up because I'm not alive. Does that mean I can pick it up? Or maybe I will never be able to?" Natasha rambled. This was obviously something she had been thinking about for a long time.

"I bet I can pick it up," Yelena bragged.

Clint laughed. "For some reason I doubt it."

"What? Why?"

"Because only the worthy can pick up Thor's hammer, and no offense, but you don't seem very worthy," Clint replied.

Crossing her arms, Yelena stuck her tongue out at him. She hoped it seemed like that statement didn't bother her as much as it did.

"I don't know," Natasha said, "maybe her sheer determination will let her pick it up."

Clint laughed again. "That I can believe."

Yelena leaned back in her seat, pouting, before her eyes lit up. "Can we get ice cream?"

"You are so childish," Natasha said.

"So? I still want ice cream!"

"Where would we even get ice cream?" Clint asked, "We're in the middle of nowhere! I don't even have cell service!"

Yelena shrugged. "Dunno, in the next city I guess."

"I want ice cream," Natasha muttered, "Man I wish I could eat."

"You can't eat?"

"I don't think so? I've never felt hungry, so I've never tried eating. I miss food." Natasha complained.

Yelena laughed at her sister before being thrown forward when Clint hit the brakes, making Yelena bump her head on the dashboard, "Ow!"

A second 'ow' echoed Yelena's.