13

"We really need to go pick a dress, darling." "I know. I know." She looks down at her feet. "It's just that..." She stops, not knowing if she could trust him with such information yet. "C'mon, you can tell me." Lucius says as he takes her chin and makes her look at him. "The Potters were usually the ones to buy the dress... and I didn't wanna ask-" "You can't afford it?" "Nonononono! Of course I can! Pfft of course I can... I mean I myself can't, but my parents can! They just... don't want to." "Why?" "I told you, they think it's stupid." "I'll buy you the dress." "What? No! You can't." She's manic. He's stern. "Of course I can. I'll meet you at your dorm after divination. Don't forget to change." "But you don't take divination?" "You do."

Later on, he does as promised and knocks at her door. A knock so polite it tells her exactly who it is. It's firm though, so she doesn't miss it. Getting out of the bathroom and lowering the sound of her music, she opens the door. "Hey there, pretty boy." He gives her a smile, but doesn't budge. "Come in, come in, make yourself comfortable!" At first he doesn't, but then she looks back at him and he just can't say no. So he slowly gets inside and closes the door. Always looking at her for consent. Looking around, he finally notices the record player by her bedside. "Hotel California?" He playfully asks. "I love it. Sirius gave it to me." He nods, still not knowing what to do with himself. "You can sit down, you know?" She said looking at him through the foggy mirror over the sink. He hesitates. He's not used to it. Someone's room is so extremely personal, he doesn't know how to act in hers.

Then, he knocks at her door. A knock so loud, so enthusiastic, so... him, she could recognise it anywhere. That's also why she didn't open the door right away. Not because she was scared of his reaction to the other boy on the bed, but because she knew he would open it himself. His knock was not asking for permission, it was just announcing his presence. He wasn't asking to come in, he was simply showing that soon he would. And he did. "My dear Y/n! I have a QUEST for us to-" He stops in the middle of the room. Turns his back to Lucius and looks at the girl. "What are you doing, half-naked in a room with this bleached blond boy?" "I'm not half-naked. I have a towel!" "Well if that towel drops..." he teases as he leans on the door-frame of her bathroom "James." Winking at her and turning on his heel theatrically he jumps on Y/n's bed where the other man only observed the scene before him. "Welcome to the griffynDORMS, sir Malfoy. Would you like a tour?" "No need, Potter. I know the way out." "Lucius... He's just joking." "I know." he gently pecks her cheek. "I'll wait for you outside."

"So... Lucius, huh." "You really have a way of ruining everything, Jamie." "What can I say? It's an innate talent." They laugh, but soon silence fills the room, as if they were each holding back what they truly wanted to say. James walks over to where she stands and looks at her through the mirror. "I missed you." He hugs her from behind and rests his head on her shoulder. The hot breath on her neck makes her head all blurry, but she managed to say these few words: "I missed you too."

They looked good together. Through the foggy mirror, they both thought the same; they looked good together. "I need to put my dress on..." He hugs her tighter "Lucius is waiting...." He finally lets her go. Things had changed and he finally noticed his special spot in her heart wasn't guaranteed. He had to work for it. So he walked out the bathroom door and plopped face down on her bed, waiting for her to change.

As Y/n opened the door, James dropped the book he was holding on his face. "Can you-?" She turns around, motioning to the open back of her dress. "Sure." You would've never believed how hushed his voice was, how speechless, a dress she had worn so many times before, made the boy.

So he walked over to her, with careful feet, as if his uneven heartbeat would betray his step. When he finally touches the zipper- "Actually it's super cold, I know I'll regret it. Thank you though!" She says as she takes any sweater and jeans she can find on the ground and runs back to the bathroom. "Those aren't yours!" He warns, but all he can hear through the door is a muffled sound he can only decipher as; "Just don't tell Layla I wore her stuff!!"

Silence creeps back in when the record finally comes to a stop. "Wanna go Christmas tree shopping with me?" She opens the bathroom door just enough to plop her head out. "What?" "We're all spending Christmas at Hogwarts this year. Sirius, Remus, Peter... Minnie said it's fine." Coming out of the bathroom fully dressed, she looked beautiful and crazy. Jumping around, trying to find socks and putting on her boots. "Is that my sweater?" She doesn't look at him, only focusing on the mess that was her room. "Yes it is and yes I'd love to go shop for a christmas tree with you." Still ignoring his presence, she rushes to take her coat and puts on her scarf as fast as she can. She looked stupid. She looked amazingly perfect. As she's looking for earmuffs, he hands her the exact pair she wished to find, and in the midst of her panic, that simple gesture brought her back down. "He's waiting for me..." She says defeated, tired from so much running around. "I know." He smiles and hugs her. Her head only came up to his chest and in that sweet moment he knew what was best and it was to let go. She would come back to him. She always did.

...

What do you think will happen next? how will Lucius react to her being so late?