Prologue

"Miku?" I hear my sister call.

I turn around to see her face, solemn and almost worried. Her hair - the colour of cotton candy - falls in loose waves at the sides of her face.

"What's up?" I ask, without looking at her, sharpening my knife.

"You have to stop doing this," her voice cracks," What would our parents say?"

Slowly, I tilt my head up to look at her. Did she really have to bring this up again?

"I know what they wouldn't say." My eyes narrow, and I put the knife down on the table, slowly.

"Well?" Megurine snaps impatiently.

I raise an eyebrow. "Don't trust anyone."

Megurine chuckles quietly, almost fake to my own ears. Right before the car accident, our mother told us always to tell someone if we feel unsafe, whoever that person may be. And that could be anyone, which is pretty strange for an adult to tell you at twelve years old.

"You really don't get it, do you, Miku?" Her eyes lock on to mine, searching for guilt. But my eyes are emotionless.

"You're risking your life," She opens her arms to point across the room for emphasis. "Not only yours but the people around you! Including mine."

Forcing a smile, I shake my head and fold my arms.

"You think this is funny?" She yells.

"I'm not laughing, I just don't know how - out of all people - you could understand what risks are." I stare hard at her. "You've never taken any!"

Impulsively she lunges at me, hands wrapped around my throat, the impact knocking me off the sofa.

"You bitch!" She screams and scratches at my face, I elbow her in the nose and slap her hard across the face.

"What the hell are you doing?" I pin her down. "Do you know why I took this job?"

Her eyes are sad and my face feels hot, angry. Before she can answer, the door flings open and there are two men, dressed in black with guns poised in their hands.

I reach for my gun and aim at them but I feel a sharp pain in my neck. Instantly, I press a finger to my neck and see blood.

"Miku!" My sister screams a blood curdling scream and my vision fades. I fall to the floor.