twenty six

It had been a few days, Tommy and Rose spending every waking minute with each other. They would make breakfast together after Tommy and Max got the eggs, and after a breakfast they'd go on a walk sometimes long, some short. Her dad once asked her about the hand holding while Tommy was in the bathroom. She simply brushed it off saying something about friends holding hands, but she couldn't hide the pink in her cheeks from her dad.

It came to the point where one night, her hand had fallen off her bed, and Tommy, being on an air mattress next to her bed, took hold of it, not letting go until she woke up.

Tommy kicked her leg under the table earning a glare. Max was talking about what he wanted to do that day and Tommy was trying to annoy Rose.

"Hey dad," she asked when Max was done, "can I go into town with Tommy? With your truck."

"Uh I guess, can you pick up some coffee while you're there?"

"Sure!" She hopped up and cleared hers and Tommy's plates before dragging him away. They changed quickly, Tommy in the bathroom and Rose in her room, and ran back down stairs yelling a goodbye and grabbing the truck keys. Tommy laughed as she started the truck.

"What?"

"You look so silly driving a big truck."

"Yeah well you look silly being British and riding in a truck." He laughed as she turned the radio on and began driving into town.

"Oh people are wondering where I am, I haven't been active on anything recently." Tommy remarked as he scrolled through Twitter, "I'll tweet something about being on vacation oops."

"Oh yeah, I guess I should probably stream soon." They had decided to not tell anyone they had met up, it just didn't seem like something that everyone had to know.

Once they finally got to town, they just simply walked around, enjoying each other's company, swinging their hands. Tommy insisted on going into the candy shop and buying some "American sweets." Rose made sure to pick out her favorites for him and they sat on a bench outside, sharing them. The cool October air made Rose's face cold, so she suggested they go to the coffee shop to warm up a bit. She ordered her regular and Tommy got a mocha.

"This is the drink my mom always got." She smiled as she took a sip.

"Can I try it?" She handing the cup over and he took a sip and hummed, "good soup." She laughed causing some people to look over but she didn't care, she was happy.

"C'mon, I wanna show you something." She led the way to the cemetery and told him to wait a second. She jogged up to the gravestone with her mother's name on it, "Hey mom, remember the boy I told you about? He's here, I want you to meet him. I-" she glanced over to where Tommy was standing, his hands in his pockets, looking at his feet as he kicked some rocks around, "I really like him mom." She smiled, "I haven't told anyone, not even dad, but I want you to meet him. Is that okay?" She paused for a moment, obviously not hearing anything, but a sense of calm came over her. She turned to Tommy, "Tommy!" She shouted up looked up and she waved him over. He came over with his hands in his pockets. "Tommy uh, this is my mom, mom, Tommy."

"Uh, hello?" He questioned glancing at the girl.

"Sorry it's kinda different but uh, I was telling my mom about you and we were here."

"Can she hear us?" Tommy questioned slowly, a little confused but not wanting to offend the girl.

"Well, not necessarily, I like to think she listens and, I just like updating her on my life."

"Oh, well it's lovely to meet you Rose's mum. I'm her best friend, Tommy." She smiled softly, thankful he didn't make fun of her or think it was weird.

"Tommy and I went to the coffee shop, he likes your drink, even though it's not tea."

"Oi just because I'm British-" the two continued talking with her mom, letting time pass. Eventually Rose was ready to go.

"Wanna go?" She asked Tommy.

"Uh, do you mind if I uh- if I speak to her? Alone?" His cheeks were pink and he glanced at the ground, Rose grinned.

"Of course, bye mom, I'll be back soon." She walked away, waiting for him at the bench, wondering what he was talking to her about. She smiled at the thought.

"So what'd you talk about?" She asked as she held his hand on the way back to the car as the sun was starting to set.

"None your business." He blushed.

"It's my mom." She laughed, "Whatever, don't tell me."

He was quiet for the rest of the night, not talking much, just smiling and nodding at her.

"Oh, you went to see mom?" Her dad asked, amazed that she showed someone something so personal.

"Mhmm, Tommy here even wanted to talk with her alone." She teased, "and he won't tell me about what."

"Interesting." Her dad mused, Tommy not meeting anyone's eyes and cheeks turning pink. Thankfully Max brought the attention back to himself and away from Tommy.

"Want to watch Tangled?" Rose asked later, the two had just said goodnight to Max and we're heading to her room.

"Tangled?"

"What? It's the best Disney movie."

He smiled, "Sure." She changed quickly and waiting on her bed, her laptop open to Disney plus. He finally came out of the bathroom, changed into his pajamas and she patted her bed for him to sit. He followed her actions cautiously sitting against the headboard. She pressed play and quickly sat back, snuggling into her without thinking. Instead of moving away, he moved his arm to wrap around her so they sat more comfortably. She could hear his heart beat steadily in his chest and she smiled.

Ten minutes in she accidentally shivered, feeling a sense of cold come over her.

"Cold?"

"Yeah, but I'm just gonna get under the covers-" she pulled the covers up to get under, "you- you can too." And he did, the two sliding down, the red head on his chest, enjoying their company.

"This is the second best part." She whispered, as the festival music played.

"What's the best part?"

"The boat."

When the boat scene came, the tired girl simply hummed along, the blonde smiling.