prolouge

The Williams family weren't Aberdeen natives like the Cobains were. The family of four had moved when the girls were on the cusp of three years old.

Their father, Marty, had been hired as a lawyer for a lumber mill close by the small, rainy town in Washington state.

Their mother, Diana, wasn't too pleased about the move from their home in the mountains of Colorado, but she made due and brought all of her fancy furniture along.

The two girls were close in age, just under a year apart. Alexandra was slightly older, more social and by almost all standards more normal than her younger sister Avenelle.

Avenelle was very used to being in the shadows of her older sister's rosy pink spotlight. She was comfortable there, reading some book she found for half off at a thrift store or listening to the same rock records.

She secretly dreamed of living somewhat in the limelight, having at least one person to fawn over her and give her the attention she never really received with work oriented parents and a socially addicted sister.

She was smart as all hell, quiet as a mouse, and had the faint spark of rebellion inside of her spirit.

When a small Alexandra would dress as a princess on Halloween, an even smaller Avenelle would tow behind in her John Lennon costume, singing the wrong words to her favorite songs by the Beatles.

They were what would be considered rich in Aberdeen, living in a house with too many rooms and too much driveway. They had a too-big yard with too-green grass.

The Cobain family lived on what might be seen as the opposite end of the spectrum. The two children lived now with only their mother, as their parents had separated.

The oldest of the two, Kurt, was downright devastated. At eight years old, heavy rebellion masked the intense shame and anger he had felt because of the divorce.

His sister, Kimberly, was more introverted than he was. She was also upset by the divorce, but she didn't act out the way her older brother did. She watched him be passed around like a ticking bomb from parent to parent and grandparent to aunts and uncles through his formative years, ultimately molding him into an angst ridden teen, emotional and frightening.

He only craved the normalcy of the families he heard his classmates speak about, the Thursday game nights and family dinners.

Both families sent their children to the same school, even being in the same grade, although they never really spoke.

They had kept ideals in their heads of each gorge and steered clear. Avenelle didn't talk to anyone, really, and Kurt didn't talk to anyone who he thought might embarrass him.

Preconceived notions can be the worst thing. You might find yourself looking back and thinking of all the limited time you wasted, forming an idea in your head and believing it to be the truth.

Kurt and Avenelle would know the feeling all too well.

——————————NOTE——————————

hey! i'm not gonna start this over again, i promise. time to get writing i suppose.