17) swim

please excuse any mistakes.

"how often do you think about dying?"______

______

"I'm telling you he should be a suspect, sheriff." A female officer pleads her case to the room full of officers who are all stationed to look into the Clarissa Evans case.

"What evidence leads to the conclusion of Elias Gray being your killer, Mandy?" He questions with a raised brow and a disinterested look. It's as though he considers it completely impossible for a rich kid to commit murder.

"Look–we know the crime was near Cheshire, an area where only the rich live. And we've all seen the way she was killed. Throat completely cut open. The last time we've seen a cut like that was on the neck of Gray's ex girlfriend." She spitfires her evidence. There's no refuting the facts.

"What you're saying is complete speculation. Poor people litter around Cheshire all day long." Sheriff William Manning mumbles out, completely ignoring the last bit of evidence. There's looks of confusion on his coworkers' faces, silently pleading for an explanation.

"That girl he's with, Honey Davis, she comes from one of the poorest parts of town and yet she's been staying within Cheshire for a week." The distaste is strong in his words, almost as if he holds some kind of vendetta against the girl.

"Speaking of her, I heard she's a young one. Fifteen?" A man who half of the squad had forgotten about suddenly spoke. His words attract attention to him making him slightly squirm underneath the gaze of his superiors.

"What's it to you? She could be twelve for all I care. Once those Grays finds something they like, there's no letting go." His unbothered comments send a chill down the spines of the two female officers in the room. What a disgusting thing to say.

"I've seen them together. At the store yesterday. Picking up some makeup." Mandy begins, letting out a sigh. "There was a bruise on her face. You could barely see it but it's there. He's hitting that girl."

"What're you getting at?" William leans toward her. A scowl on his disinterested face.

"If he's not against hitting his girlfriend, what makes you think he's not capable of murder?" Mandy doesn't back down from the man's skepticism. Anger spreads across her face. Why isn't he taking this seriously?

"Look- girl." He doesn't bother to acknowledge her by name. "I don't know what you think you're on to but drop it! The Grays run the damn town. Before you shove your head into their business remember whose money is paying your bills."

He slams his fist against the table to make his point. That signals the end of the meeting. Well that and the anger that now engulfs the man's entire being. The squad of officers leaves the room. Walking out with hurried steps. An angry boss never meant anything good.