14) spiraling

please excuse any mistakes.

"do it."
______

"Why'd you come here?" The unwelcoming words of Nico Ballard, Elias' best friend and college roommate who happens to be in town, greets him. The ragged appearance of Nico lets Elias know he woke the other man up.

"Ouch, Nico." Elias says with no real hurt. "Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Of course I am." Nico yawns, stepping aside to let Elias into his dark house. "I just didn't expect you to come knocking down my door like a damn Jehovah's Witness."

"Shut up, I brought you beer."

"You know you I can't say no to cheap corner store beer." Nico teases.

The two look at each before cracking smiles. Nico let's out a laugh before straightening up. Stretching his body to wake himself up. The two friends follow the same procedure as usual. Opening the six pack of beer, deciding to play some stupid card, and smoking the marijuana Nico has stashed underneath the cushions of his couch.

"I win. Again." Nico brags after a fifth game of Uno.

"Shut up. I let you win." Elias says, collecting and shuffling the deck of cards. Intentionally placing the plus four cards at the bottom of the deck. Not wanting Nico to use them against him again.

"I heard you killed a girl last Wednesday, that true?" It's not the kind of small talk you'd expect during a game of Uno, but when your best friend occasionally kills people for the hell of it, why not?

"If I said no, would you believe me?"

Nico's answer is no. For as long as he's known Elias, he's never been the type to tell the honest truth. The most you're likely to get from him is a half truth accompanied by a lie. Or two.

"Guess the murder talk is off the table?" Nico tries to lighten the mood. He doesn't exactly plan on spending his Monday afternoon being stuck in a room with his best friend when he's seems two seconds away from having a fit of rage if he loses another round of a card game.

"It was never on the table." Elias' irritation seeps through his low words. It's like music to Nico's ears. Elias is still sane enough to crack a joke. Not that his words were particularly funny.

"Calm down. It's not my fault you can't go a month without sticking your knife into some girl's neck."

"I am calm. If I weren't, I'd probably stick it in your neck right now."