13

Me and Valerie clattered up the stairs to our dorm room, “c’mon! We've got clues to find!”
“In a minute Trix, let me get my breath back!” Valerie sat on their bed, “we also need to find something to take notes with.”

I ran to our set of drawers and searched through the bottom one, where all of our school supplies were. I found a box of pens and an empty exercise book, I held them above my head in victory, “let's go now vals!” adrenaline was rushing through my veins, I had to solve the case.

Valerie sighed and ducked through the hole in the wall, I ran after her gripping my notebook and pens. With a snap of their fingers Valerie lit up the candles that lined the corridor.

We walked in comfortable silence to the door covered in peeling wallpaper, we hesitated, knowing what was behind it was almost as bad as not knowing.

I reached forward and shoved the door forward revealing the two skeletons and the repeated plea for mercy.
“hang on!!” Valerie pulled me back, “if they're skeletons, then they've either been dead a long time or….” they broke off
“... Something supernatural had something to do with their deaths,” I finished.
Satan, my best friend was clever.

“that means our murderer is either long dead or like us.”
“aww fuck. I don't know about you vals but I don't really fancy fighting a fully trained demon. I mean it was bad luck on our part that we died as children but still that's not fair.”
Valerie's laugh echoed around the halls.
I pulled them into the room and surveyed the scene from the door.

“wait, what's it written in?” vals asked suddenly.
“ummm…. Sharpie? I honestly don't know.”
Valerie ran over to what I assumed were sharpies and picked one up, laughing in shock, “they're not sharpies! They're brushes! And old ones at that!”
“if they're paint brushes then there must be paint or ink somewhere. And if it's old paint there might be a date on it!”

We ran round the room looking for anything we'd missed when the sound of running feet made us freeze.

“1905!! Two girls went missing in 1905! The case was left unsolved in 1920!” Aemalias voice echoed from a few meters away.
“In here!” Valerie shouted, making me jump.
Mayah and Aemalia crashed through the door.

Aemalia  sat on the floor wheezing, Mayah elbowed her in the ribs, “Inhaler!”
She pulled an inhaler out of her trouser pocket and took a breath into it.

“Alright now you're not dying, we need to look for a pot of paint or ink from probably 1905,” Valerie grinned.

Mayah, who had been edging to the edge of the room for a while now, yelped, “you mean like these?!” she pulled two pots of paint from under her leg
"Yep!"

"Well done on finding the paint but it doesn't give us much help, sorry," I said.

Honestly I'm fed up of never finding any useful clues. They make it seem so easy in the books. Trust me on this, it's not.