Her eyes shot to the green dress, which – fortunately – Ryleigh had picked up from the floor and draped over the desk chair. It still wasn't the reference with which it deserved to be treated, but at least it was no longer in a pile on the ground.

Aaron stepped into the room and closed the door behind him, thankfully shutting his guards out, though she could still read their minds. All his movements were so deliberate and graceful. She was such a klutz in comparison.

"Your sister said you were gone all night," he said, turning around to face her. His gaze travelled over her. She clasped her hands behind her back, digging the toe of her shoe into the carpet.

"Yes."

"She said you were out hunting."

He said the word – hunting – with trepidation, like he wasn't sure what it even meant, let alone how he felt about her practicing the sport.

"Yes."

He nodded and approached, halting in front of her. He raised a hand and she flinched back. His brows twitched. He proceeded more gently and plucked a twig out of her hair. His features were neutral, bordering on disapproving, but the hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth.

"I was still in the process of cleaning myself up," she said. "Don't people walk around naked in your pack?"

His eyes widened like that was a ridiculous and impertinent question. "No."

"But how does that work? Don't you have wolves running patrol?"

"Yes, but I never see them shift. They do not do that in the open." He pulled a leave from her hair, the strands stubbornly trying to hold onto it.

Jade frowned. "So everybody's always fully dressed?"

"Yes. As they should."

"How restricting." She wanted to move her hands up to help him pick out the forest from her locks, but her wolf held her back. The feeling of his fingers against her scalp was quite soothing. "I suppose I understand why you looked so shocked, then. If I had known, I would have linked Ryleigh to bring me some clothes. But I didn't know you were here. I didn't think you'd come."

"You did not think I would come? Have I not visited you every day, unless there was absolutely no opportunity?"

"Yes, but after yesterday..." She shrugged, looking down. His shoes were freshly polished again. They were made of the finest leather, just like the rest of his clothes were made of the finest fabrics. "I don't know. It wasn't a success."

"You did well."

Her eyes flitted up. He had to be kidding her. "No. I didn't. I messed up. I barely managed to speak a word to your parents, and I pretty much yelled at you in the hall, and everyone laughed at me."

"No one laughed at you."

"Not out loud." She glowered back down at his shoes. Had it been legal, she would have loved to take all those people down a peg. If they would not respect her, they had better fear her.

Aaron plucked another twig from her hair. "You shook my father's hand. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been for you."

She hadn't expected him to acknowledge that. "It wasn't easy."

He looked around for a place to put down the bird's nest he had gathered from her hair. For want of a better place, he opted to stuffing the twigs and leaves into his pocket.

"I suppose I did not fully comprehend exactly how different our lives have been," he said. "I should have been more gentle. That is my fault, and you were brilliant despite of it. I am immensely grateful you were willing to do this for me." He lowered his hand from her scalp to her face, his thumb tracing her lips. "And I was not shocked to see you naked because I am not used to it, but because you are beautiful."

His voice was low and slightly hoarse and a breath got stuck on her lips. She stood there like a monkey getting searched for flees, and he thought she was beautiful?

"You are freezing," he said, moving his other hand up as well, warming up her cheeks with his touch.

"What?" It was hard to focus with him so close. "O, yes. It was kind of cold out."

He drew back and shrugged off his jacket, draping it around her shoulders. His scent surrounded and she gasped, her eyes fluttering shut. He chuckled – a deep, gentle sound. Her legs trembled. His voice, his proximity, his smell, it was overwhelming yet wonderful. She stuck her arms through the sleeves and pulled the fabric tighter around her. It was far too big, reaching almost to her knees, but that only made it more comfortable.

"You have to take better care of yourself," he said, rubbing his hands up and down her arms. "If something were to happen to you..." His hands paused, holding onto her a little tighter. His eyes flashed lilac. She chuckled and tilted her shoulder, nudging him.

"Control yourself."

He winced and his eyes returned to their usual grey. "I should not have said that."

"No, but it's alright." She cleared her throat and inched away from his touch. "Anyway. Are we good, then? Because I –" She shook her head and moved towards the mirror. Bowing slightly forward, she started pulling the last of the leaves from her tangled tresses.

"Of course we are alright. Why? What were you going to say?"

"Nothing."

He crossed the room towards her, his hand fluttering over her lower back. She shot upright, her heart skipping a beat.

"Jade?"

She raised her shoulder, nuzzling her chin into his jacket. "I thought maybe you were going to reject me." She met his gaze via the mirror and forced herself not to look away. His brows shot up. He placed a hand on her shoulder and turned her around.

"I have waited far too long, and I have searched far too hard, to ever consider rejecting you."

"But –"

He cupped her face in both his hands. "Jade, listen very carefully. I am not going to reject you. Never worry about that."

"Even if your parents don't like me? And if I don't fit in? I don't know if I can be who you need me to be."

"I only need you to be yourself."

She pulled loose and wrapped her arms around herself, her hands getting lost somewhere in the sleeves of the jacket. "What if that's not enough?"

"It is enough," he said, but Jade had grown up with Ryleigh, so she knew how to spot a lie.  

________

A/N: Having a prince for a mate sounds fun and all, but it hasn't exactly been a fairy tale so far... 

Thank you for reading!