Chapter 11

Present day, Los Angeles, California

Or not.

That's what happened. Axel didn't keep his end of the deal. At first we did text occasionally. But that dwindled out in a year. Now, we were like mere acquaintances. I've not seen him for 2 years. And I had absolutely no clue if he was alive or dead either.

I guess I'd know that since our parents were friends anyway.

I didn't want anything to do with him. The years apart created a barrier over my heart. I put so much effort into placing a lid over my emotions, that I was left with none. I didn't want a friendship where I had to put in all the effort for keeping it alive. And whatever plans we made for the future, is currently hibernating and doesn't seem like it would wake up anytime soon, or ever.

Okay!!! These are soooo not the thoughts that should be running through my head when I'm in this absolutely stunning campus.

Guess what people. Oh, you won't be able to guess.

I got into freaking UCLA.

University of California, one the BEST universities in the world!! I keep pinching myself to tell me it's all real.

When I got my acceptance letter for  Masters in Architecture, I blacked out on the spot. I NEVER expected it. I love you Jesus! He probably made the admin department at UCLA zone out or something while reading my application. Other than that I can't find any reason as to how I ended up here.

You took a flight here idiot.

Excuse my brain. It has a terrible humor sense.

The campus is massive. Huge and architecturally mesmerizing buildings spanned the courtyards. There were many students milling around, talking with friends, having a random picnic, doing cartwheels, making out..?

I guess I have to get used to sights like this. In India, these were scandalous. You would probably have to marry if caught in the act of molesting each other's tongue. Reminds of the Regency period in England which was in the 17th century, mind you.

I once caught a couple making out behind the waste disposal area in my previous university. I mean, can't they find a better spot? I would probably be focused on the background smell and the fruit flies trying to eat me, thinking I'm a fruit.

I'm sweet. What can I say?

I guess such issues won't happen here as people couldn't care less on who watched them.

My parents, youngest brother Miles and my only sister Miranda decided were there with me to help me settle down.

Have I told you about my seven siblings? We were the definition of chaos. And we were the M family, for obvious reasons as dad is Manuel and my mom Melissa.

And my siblings, Maxwell, Marcus, Maverick, Mason, Miranda, Matt and Miles who were all younger than me.

Then there's me, Alisha. But my baptismal name is Mary. I may be the odd one out, but that does make sense as I'm the only sane one in the family, if I say so myself. My family might disagree but who cares what they think.

Hehe.

Being one of the two girls among six other boys, made my parents very protective of us. And even at 23, I was victim to their lectures on behaving properly in public. They treat me like a little kid. Ugh

Miles and Miranda seemed to be more excited than me to see everything. I can't blame them. They were just 9 and 13 and haven't really experienced much  of the world outside the Indian soil. I had to remind Miles not to dump the chocolate wrapper on the immaculately maintained grass. And I also had to cover both their eyes from those previously mentioned sights.