Chapter 2

12 yrs ago, India

I was so excited! Me, Max and Marc were on the plane, by ourselves. I'm 10 years old now so I'm a big girl, that's what the pretty lady in a red dress told me. But her red lips were scary.

We were waiting for our kid meals. Well, kid meals for my brothers but adult meal for me. I had to make sure I looked like I was the responsible one compared to my silly brothers who were busy fighting over the window seat, when the seat did not even belong to either of them. I told them many times, but they wouldn't listen.

Finally, a big man with a bristly mustache came and took that seat so Max went and sat on his actual seat on the middle aisle, both him and Marc, sulking. The man had a funny face and his eyebrows looked like furry caterpillars. And I had to stop Marc from grabbing those. Silly kids!

We fell asleep after the plane took off and woke up to find another pretty lady pushing a cart with many food boxes in it. We got excited as she gave us our meals and poured us orange juice.

I opened my box but it looked like I got baked fish, rice and some gravy...

When I looked at Max and Marc, they were happily munching on fries and chicken nuggets. I thought I would cry...

Max looked over at my box, "You got fish?!" And he started laughing loudly.

"I love fish...it's very tasty. Better than nuggets. I'm tired of it."

"Do you want a nugget...?", he asked me, showing off his annoying smile. Ugh!!

"No...I don't want those silly nuggets."

He just continued laughing and inhaling those pieces. I hate my brothers sometimes. Sorry, I mean all the time.

When we finally landed in India, we found Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt Tess and Uncle Martin waiting for us. We ran towards them and got big fat four kisses on both our cheeks. What's with all the grownups and this icky kissing. It's so gross.

The reason we came to India was for the greatest celebration of all time. We were part of a Christian movement and we were here to have fun. That's all I knew. I even brought my prettiest clothes for this trip. This programme was for three whole days! And I couldn't wait to see Nora and Ally. They were also part of this.

The next day, as soon as I reached the place where this was happening, I ran out of the car and rushed to the building with a big banner with Pre-teens written on it. I searched around and finally I found them and crushed them into a group hug all the while screaming and scaring other kids and volunteers. Some people even gave us nasty looks. Boring people.

Ally suddenly pulled my hand, "Ali, do you see that boy in a red t-shirt?, she whispered.

"Yea...?"

"That's Axel, you remember him right?'

I gulped. I wasn't prepared. He was taller and I was sure he looked cuter than Prince Philip.

"I think I remember him a bit..."

And suddenly they told us to stop talking so that the program could start.

I kept looking at Axel whenever I could. He was so handsome. Why are other girls looking at him? I saw him first!

He always looked forward, so our eyes never met.

When it was lunch time, I saw him eating under some tree and I ran out with my lunch giving some lame excuse to my friends and found a spot next to the tree where I had a clear view of Axel without him seeing me. I used every chance I got to spend time quietly around him without him knowing my existence.

Is this what is called a crush? I've heard my friends use that word but I never knew what it meant.

Maybe I did have a crush. I just wished he would notice me. But I was not pretty or popular like Ally or Nora. He knew them well. If I asked Ally or Nora about him, they would make fun of me. What if they think I'm weird. Boys and girls should stay away from each other. Isn't that the rule every grownup talks about?

But I really really wanted to break that rule for Axel.

It was the last day of the program. And my friends, I and few other kids went backstage to have fun. I felt like I was in some cool kids gang.

I felt something weird in my stomach when I saw Axel there. Or maybe I just wanted to pee.

Ally and Axel tried doing cartwheels and I watched them in fascination. Ally was the best dancer I've seen. Axel did it funny, but I saw him laughing for the first time and he was so cute.

Suddenly, he turned around and our eyes met. He gave me a smile (well I'm going to believe that the smile was for me anyway).

I'm sure I resembled a fish out of water. Axel looked at me all confused and shook his head, looking away.

I was so happy that day. And the next and next and next, till I landed back on Arabian sand to realize he was on another country. And my smile dropped.

_________________________________________

Hey Readers,

Sorry for any errors that may have found their way here unknowst to me.
You can point them out if you spot those traitors.

Thanks!

And...happy reading!

Love,
GJM