"I just need to know what he smells like, alright?" Even in the dark, Ryleigh saw Jade blushing a deep red. "I didn't get the chance to catch his scent back then."

Ryleigh rolled her eyes. "What I wouldn't do for you. Fine. Stay here." She made sure no one was looking in their direction, then slipped out of the shadows. She bobbed her head up and down along with the music, slipping around some dancing couples. She was glad Austin didn't like dancing. There was no way she'd have consented to making a fool of herself. She snatched a cup of wine from one of the tables in passing, draining it in seconds and putting it down on another table. She told herself to slow down, but reason had never been her strong suit, so she picked up another cup.

"Ryleigh," Austin said, when she halted beside him. His hand moved to rest on her lower back and she allowed it, easing into his touch.

"How are you?" Julie asked.

"O, fine, fine. Just here for the wine, you know. What about you? I haven't seen you dancing yet. You seem the type."

"O, yeah," she said, shrugging one shoulder. "Austin hates dancing, so I usually dance with Ellis." She glanced down at the floor.

"Right. Consider me stupid for asking that question. Should've known."

She shook her head, forcing a smile. "No, it's fine. It's all fine. I'm fine."

"Very convincing. I'll do us both a favour and pretend to believe you. You know, I'm sure we can find you some handsome stranger to dance with. Come on." She shrugged off Austin's hand and hooked her arm around Julie's. "Maybe the prince, hmm? That's sure to make Ellis seethe with jealousy."

"Why would I want to make Ellis jealous?"

Ryleigh sipped from her cup. "Payback. No? Alright. You do look beautiful, by the way. I'd dance with you myself but I'm a disaster on legs."

Julie chuckled, but her enjoyment was fleeting. "I don't even feel like dancing, to be honest."

"What! Nah-ah. We're not doing this. You've poured your heart and soul into this festival. You're not going to spend the night sulking. O, that's a handsome fellow. You know him?"

Julie followed her gaze, squinting in the dark. "O, yes. It's the Crimson Claws' alpha. But he's not a really nice man. You know, I don't want to dance with strangers. I don't like dancing with people I don't know. I..." She broke off, shaking her head. Her eyes found Ellis, who was standing with his back towards her, talking to a group of alpha's.

"You like dancing with Ellis," Ryleigh said. "I see."

"Can we just walk about a bit?" Julie asked. "I'd ask Sky, but I don't know where she is."

"It'd be my pleasure. Who knows. We might come across someone handsome enough to tempt you. Maybe a nice widower who isn't going to surprise you with a fated mate." She raised her cup to her lips and downed the rest of the wine.

"I can't tell you how done I am with mates and relationships and everything pertaining to either or both."

"I feel you. Still, a bit of harmless fun never hurt anybody. But very well. I won't push you. Goddess forbid someone would try to pair me off with a stranger. I'd probably rip them a new one. The only one I'm flirting with tonight, is a good glass of wine." She raised her empty cup, tipping it as though toasting.

"That I can get behind."

Ryleigh guided Julie towards one of the tables, her eyes searching for Aaron. He had strayed closer to the hall, still greeting people and making conversation with whomever he passed. He smiled at everyone and Ryleigh wondered if his jaws didn't hurt from all that civility.