Two

Pale, painful, morning light broke through the walls of my house, falling onto my eyelids. I twitched awake and sat up. Annalisa was leaning against my mother and Rylan was still asleep. If anyone could sleep in our family, it was Rylan. ‘Steven.’ I thought. He was still gone. What had happened? 

Thud. 

My heart pounded in my chest. Annalisa peeked her eyes open and stood carefully to her feet. We moved slowly to the door. It popped open and two forms entered. ‘Steven’; I thought, throwing my arms around him. “What happened?” 

Steven patted my back and then I pulled away, allowing my mother a turn. Then Annalisa pulled away from Mace (who’d returned with Steven) and gave him a hug. 

“We fought well, but so did the Kerises. In the end, I think they won,” Steven started, his voice rushed. “This morning at about seven thirty, they dragged a bunch of us out in the Round and killed them. Mace and I got out, but I’m not sure how long we have until they're  are at our door.”

“What are you suggesting we do?” mother asked, trying to keep her voice steady. 

“Head for the meadow outside of Gadeloff. That’s the plan for everyone. We’re going to reassemble out there and plan another attack later,” Steven continued. 

“But—,” my mother was interrupted by the sound of knocking. A firm fist was pounding at our door. We all glanced around at each other. Now that change was upon me, I wished it would slow down. It didn’t know how scared I’d be. I hadn’t really thought about how it would affect us to lose. Annalisa moved back to stand beside Mace. Mother straightened her skirt and stepped forward. 

“I’ll answer, mom,” Steven whispered. 

“No,” my mother stated. It was a commandment, not a suggestion. She walked to the door and opened it, letting more light flood in. Two Kerises stepped forward. I could feel our house, bowing under the added weight. 

“Mr. Fredrick Ellow of A17. Box 53?” the first Keris asked, giving my father’s name. 

My mother nodded. “Yes.”

“Good.” He stepped to the side and several more Kerises entered. “Under order of our leader, President Teklate, we are here to inform you that your four children: Steven Ellow, Annalisa Ellow, Megan Ellow and Rylan Ellow will be from this moment on, property of President Teklate. You have proven unworthy and unsuitable as a protective guardian. Thus, we will be giving them new homes.” 

My thoughts shifted. ‘NO! I won’t be a servant!’ I backed up into the corner, crouching next to Rylan’s box. Upon glancing down, I noticed that Rylan was gone. My stomach dropped. “Rylan,” I started and then glanced around. Annalisa was cradling him close to her and further away from the Kerises. 

The Kerises moved forward, grabbing our arms. Pain shot through my shoulder as I was jerked to my feet. “Stop!” I yelled, pulling back. 

“You will not take my children!” mother stated firmly.

“PLEASE, stop!!!” I cried, tears seeping from my eyes like lava from a volcano. The man’s grip tightened and everything became confusing. I pulled with all my might, unwilling to go. Mother was shrieking for help. Steven was yelling. I could hear the thuds of his fits making contact with the other soldiers. Rylan had, by now, started sobbing and Annalisa was doing all she could to hold him away from the prying hands. 

“LET GO!” I shouted, digging my feet into the floor. I strained all my muscles. “NO!” BAM. I fell onto my butt. My head spun and for a moment, I couldn’t breath. All I could do was gasp desperately at air that didn’t seem to be there. More arms grabbed at me, dragging me to my feet. I fought every inch of the way, thrashing around, twisting and squirming out of grips. 

BOOM. 

Possibly the loudest noises I’d ever heard arose in my house. The, now familiar, gun shot rattled around. Twice more the sound made its appearance. One of the Kerises that was trying to get me, collapsed along with two others. I collapsed to my knees, sobs rising in my chest. I choked them back with swallows, but it wasn’t helping. My throat ached as my eyes were blinded by a heavy cataract of tears. Cries and shrieks and oaths were muttered in a blur around me. 

“Is everyone here?” Steven broke my concentration and I glanced up at him. 

“Megan is,” I said humbly. 

“Momma is,” mother said, raising her right hand. 

“Mace and Annalisa are,” Mace said. Annalisa, wrapped in his arms, shook. “Rylan isn’t,” she managed. Mace pressed his forehead to hers. 

My stomach dropped and my heart thudded to a halt.  ‘Rylan. My baby brother. Gone. He will be taken to one of those schools like Steven said and will be taught in the ways of Teklate.’

“No,” mother whispered, her voice failed and a horrible sob escaped her lips. It was like nothing I’d ever heard before. I cannot begin to describe the agony and overwhelming pain that was held in this one noise—this one…not groan…not cry…not whimper, but sob! It was almost like a howl or wail, but it was definitely dripping with the most emotion and sadness imaginable. Mother gasped for breath, choking on more sobs. Her voice seemed to die in her throat. 

“No,” Steven muttered. He turned and walked toward the door. He threw it open and leapt down the steps. His footsteps echoed on the street. Annalisa exhaled and pulled away from Mace. She hurried out the door, not even bothering to lift her skirts on the steps. Mace followed and I stepped up behind. Annalisa tripped on her dress, but quickly pulled herself up and started running down the street, Mace at her heels. I hesitated in the doorway. If I was all mother had, then I wanted to stay, but if my siblings were taken captive or killed, I wanted to die with them. Taking a breath, my feet skidded over the steps and I sprinted down the road. The wind whipped at my clothing. It pulled at my hair. The bricks I ran over seemed to be holding me back. Time had never seemed so fleeting and silence had never echoed and boomed so loud! “Please, please, please,” I prayed, my voice a whisper as I neared my siblings. We stood still in the Round. I saw the Keris. I heard Rylan. I closed my eyes shut. I felt the ground shake as the shot rumbled. 

“You COWARD!” Annalisa cried, hurrying forward. I peeked my eyes open, knowing what had happened. ‘Rylan!’ My own feet began running forward! I charged the limp, body of my little, baby brother. My arms longed to cuddle his bouncy form, but now…he was lifeless. He was still. My breath reverberated in my head. Was he dead? 

“Stay back,” the Keris warned. My eyes flickered to him as he raised a gun at us. I stopped, but my heart kept pounding. 

“Can we not go to him?” Annalisa choked. 

The stern gaze of the Keris answered: No. “And, just so you know, I have the right to kill anyone of you-ESPECIALLY you.” His gun arm pointed at Mace. 

“But you WON’T!” Annalisa continued running she leapt through the air at the Keris. My tongue longed to yell at her to stop! I couldn’t lose her too! Steven and Mace followed, tackling the man to the ground. He thrashed as I had, but they were stronger. Annalisa knelt by Rylan. She carefully scooped him up in her arms. Her deep brown eyes glistened and eyelids closed over them as she laid a delicate hand on Rylan’s heart. 

“Rylan,” I whispered, unable to move. Pain creased Annalisa’s already broken expression. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but closed it again. “You—you—you,” she choked. “You killed him.” Her voice shook. It started as a whisper, but rose to a shout—a desperate cry: “You KILLED him! My little brother!” 

My eyes flickered to several more Kerises. Steven and Mace started forward. Doors opened and closed around us. People began flooding in, hearing Annalisa’s cries. They stood with us. Several joined Mace and Steven. The numbers grew and grew around me, but I couldn’t move. 

“Follow them, Meg,” Steven said, coming up to me. “They’ll get you out. I’ll meet you later. I promise.” 

“I’m trusting you,” I said, giving him a hug. “And if—.”

“I will get back,” he re-stated. 

Arms pulled me back, but this time, I didn’t fight. I allowed myself to be carried away. Far away.