One

Hey, Lewis here! This is a new, completed short story that I've just finished! It's a little different from anything else we've done so far, but I hope you enjoy it anyways!- Lewis 

**************************************************************************************************

        “Stop!” I yelled, hot tears melting down my mud-stained, worry broken face, blurring my vision. “Please Everyone! Stop!” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe life wouldn’t have been so entirely rotten if...well, if everything about Gadeloff was different. I glanced up at the muddy road before my little house. Several people wearing worn, dirty clothes limped solemnly by as if alone. There was nothing new about that. We hardly ever said much to each other outside of the hard labor that characterized our lives. I lived with my mother, my toddler brother, Rylan, my older sister of fifteen, Annalisa, and my oldest brother, Steven. 

“Stop it, Steven!” my mother’s voice yelled from our undersized kitchen. I did not even flinch. They fought a lot and it was always about the same thing. 

“Why?” demanded Steven. He was eighteen at the time. “I’m sick of this! I’m tired of being hungry. I’m tired of being tired and I’m tired of being angry while doing absolutely nothing about it!” 

“Shush!” she hushed him. 

‘Steven is right. This isn’t fair and this isn’t right. Someday HE will rule our little country of Medellon and get us out of this mess!’ I thought. We needed more people with the same passion that he possessed. 

“I’ll do it mom! For you! For Meg! For Annalisa and Rylan!” Steven continued. 

“I won’t let you!”

“It won’t be long, mom. They’ll rip Rylan away and send him to one of their special schools where he’ll be made into one of them! They’ll steal Annalisa and make her slave to one of their cowardly selves until every piece of her beauty, love and purity is spent—until every segment of her is violated. They’ll cart Meg off to be a servant until they see fit to resign her to Annalisa’s fate!” Steven retorted. 

“STEVEN!” 

I, thirteen year-old Meg, glanced back down at the ruff stairs, on which, I had positioned myself. ‘All the power to you, brother!’ We needed change desperately. Our father had slaved hard many years and through many difficult times, but had never received a reward. No rest and no pat on the back was ever given him. After his death seven months ago, all we were given was a letter stating that our rations and living space would be reduced a “little bit.” Of course that meant we would be living in a shack with front steps, eating one stale piece of bread a day! It wasn’t even edible most times! My father had always said: “rebellion will come eventually. You can’t treat people like slaves and take away their freedom without some sort of back lash.” At dinner he had spoken of the injustice and what needed to be done about it and even of little tussles here and there, but he never did anything and nothing ever changed. 

“I promise, mother,” Steven said resolutely. 

“Don’t promise. Close your mouth, Steven. You know what could happen if they hear you talking like that?” my mother protested. 

“Sometimes you have to say things anyway,” Steven stated. 

“Don’t you walk away from me!”