He frowned. "Still-"

"Your highness." Arthur's voice dropped the temperature to a freezing degree. Amelia froze, and my father's scowl deepened.

I gave Arthur a look. He better not get involved in this. I didn't need him to fight my battles for me. He didn't even glance my way. My temper flared.

"I would be careful," he said. "You're addressing my mate. She's not a child to be scolded or told how to behave."

"She's my daughter-"

"She's a twenty-six year old woman," I said. "You'd do well to remember that."

Orion's face thundered. Amelia put her hand on his arm and smiled. "She's right, my dear. The other party were barely adults, they shouldn't have been left to their own accords on foreign land. It's my own fault." She turned to me, "if you'll accept my apologies, lady Elle; I was the one who gave them the permission to tour the grounds of the castle unattended. I should've foreseen such a problem."

My anger fizzled out. I smiled at Amelia. "No apologies needed, your highness. It was just a misunderstanding."

"Thank you for being gracious." She gave a regal nod.

After Amelia's intervention, I felt as though I had overreacted. I shifted on my feet.

Orion and Arthur were still engaged in a senseless stare-off. Amelia smiled, shaking her head. Her thoughts seemed alligned with mine.

Men...

This long day just wouldn't come to an end. We sat at the dinner table, Arthur on one side of me and Burak on the other. I glared at the setting in front of me.

Why in the world did these people need more than a fork and a knife to eat? How was I supposed to know which of the three forks to use? And why were there two knives? A knife was a knife in my book. I had half a mind to get my dagger out and eat with it just to see their reaction.

Right. That would scream savage and I didn't think uncle Robert would be proud of me if I did that.

I glanced at Arthur and hid my smile. Arthur probably wouldn't care if I did that.

"Something funny?" he asked, leaning his head so close to mine I was sure it was inappropriate in this public setting.

"Nothing," I said. The image of my dagger on the table made my lips twitch up again. 

Damn it, I was still mad at him. He smiled with his eyes. Under the table, his hand found my knee. 

I glared at him. "I have daggers."

"Oh, I know," he said, squeezing my knee. Ironically, his touch seemed to dampen my anger. I blew out a breath. I guess we should talk about this. I just hoped he wouldn't simply dismiss my worries again, otherwise I might really stab him.

The guest on the other side of Arthur tapped his arm. He turned. She was a female witch with thick, glossy honey-colored hair, pale brown eyes and golden skin. She was stunning. And she was making googly eyes at Arthur.

I stopped myself from reaching for the dagger in my thigh sheath. Arthur squeezed my knee again, his amusement travelling through the bond.

Dinner was served. I stole glances at Arthur to see what fork and knife he used for each course. I was the focus of many guests. I guess I should learn the damn etiquette since I would be rubbing elbows with the haughty and sophisticated immortals from now on. Amanda would no doubt be thrilled to teach me.

It didn't escape my notice that I was not served a goblet of blood, like the rest of vampires.

The female on Arthur's other side cocked her head to the side and nodded at something Arthur said. The thick waves of her hair slid on her bare shoulder like silk and her skin shimmered under the bright lights.