Day Eighteen | Love, Family, and Socially Awkward Humans

Prompt | Siblings

Critical Role

I know not many people watch Critical Role and will probably skip reading this one by I decided in honour of Campaign Three I'll write an Empire Siblings one-shot!

👊🏽 - 🍁 - 🔥

A loud thud sounded as a body brushed against his. Caleb recognized the tense figure to be Beau since Nott was much smaller and Jester tended to strangle with a hug anytime she was near him. The scruffy wizard didn't even glance at her, keeping his gaze on his book as he read intently. It wasn't until a spew of muddled curses began that he stopped and looked at her.

"Beauregard," Caleb said dryly, raising a tired eyebrow. Beau only grunted, leaning more onto his shoulder and crossing her arms, her chin tucked into her chest. Beau tried to appear aloof but Caleb had been around her long enough to see that she was frustrated. With a sigh Caleb reluctantly closed his book, his fingers running along the pages wistfully before he turned, forcing her to sit up.

"Something is wrong," Caleb said bluntly with a jerk of his chin. "What is it?"

"Aw, screw you," Beau grumbled but she sat up, her hands moving to adjust her ponytail. She was scowling (as she normally is) but her eyes weren't as hard as usual. They kept on flicking across the room. Caleb followed her gaze, a crease forming in his brow as his striking blue eyes settled on a hulking figure in the corner. The Barbarian smiled softly, nursing a mug in her hand as she listened to something Jester was rambling about.

"Does your sudden dip in mood have something to do with Yasha?" Caleb probed.

Beau rolled her eyes. "No." She huffed. Then she chewed on her lip, looking guiltily to the side. "Maybe.... yes."

Caleb chuckled lightly. A rough, ragged sound deep in his chest. He coughed, making Beau stare at him in concern. "Sheesh, you need to laugh more." Beau said.

"Ja, I'm a little out of practice." Caleb shrugged with a rueful smile. "But  it is all of you that have helped me gain back some experience."

Beau's lips twitched upwards but she stubbornly turned them back down. She still remained standoffish, a nervous energy humming visibly under her skin. Unfortunately for Caleb, he too, was awkward and not the best person to talk to about your problems. The Zemnian man drummed his fingers on his book thoughtfully, looking around through his greasy ginger hair as he tried to think of what to do. Something clicked in his head and he sat up, making Beau shift away from him and give him a questioning look.