Chuck guided Tatay and soon the living room was filled with music. Tatay couldn't help but sing along. Amused, Chuck made a mental note to probably get Tatay his own karaoke machine. When the song ended, Tatay explained, "Yan ang madalas kong kantahin sa Nanay mo nung nililigawan ko pa lang sya."

"Oh, so ito po ba yung kantang nagpasagot sa kanya?"

"Palagay ko." Tatay replied, amused.

They spent the next few minutes going through different videos as Tatay excitedly recalled titles and artists.

"Mamaya na ulit yan. Hali na kayo at kumain." Nanay said after a while. The men didn't notice Maia arrive nor that dinner was on the table.

For a few weeks, Analyn, their helper, shared that Nanay and Tatay were like kids fighting over the remote control, show schedules, and what to watch. "May mga araw din pong puyat ang isa sa kanila sa kakapanood ng sine o series."

"Paano mo nalaman?" Maia inquired.

"Nung una, nakikinood din ako. Tinatawag ako ni Nanay na sabayan sya manood. Pero pagkatapos ng ilang gabi, sumuko na ako. Nagkukwento din naman sya kinabukasan e."

"Eh paano si Tatay?"

"Paiba-iba yung pinapanood. Minsan sports. Yung basketball. Minsan, sine naman. Yung action. Pero madalas, nagbibidyoke dun sa harap ng TV. Ang kwento nya, dati daw nung nakatira pa sila malapit sa ampunan, madalas daw syang tambay dun sa may karaoke malapit sa kanila."

Maia smiled as she recalled how Tatay loved to sing and perform even if it was only Nanay and her as his audience. He would often play music in his jeepney or when he was at home doing chores. He loved to sing or hum while working. But, when they moved to the house where Maia grew up in, there was less music since Tatay and Nanay became busy with work. When they were together at home, they'd normally have meals together, talk about their day, and then retire to their own rooms at the end of the day. They all worked hard to secure their future that they somehow forgot how to relax and slow down.

---

In their own house, Maia was also learning how to be a wife. Chuck's parents had arrived a week before the wedding and Maia felt like she needed to prove herself to them, especially to Mommy.

Mommy and Daddy quietly observed Maia. After having met her when she and Chuck visited them in Canada, Mommy or Daddy would share their memories about Chuck. From Maia's experience, Chuck wasn't like the typical Prince or royal or rich person, and neither were his family. Except for staff of helpers, Maia appreciated how humble Chuck and his family were. If they could, they would always do things for themselves.

"Good morning po" Maia greeted Mommy the day after she and Daddy arrived from Canada.

"Good morning."

"Nakapagpahinga po kayo ng maayos?"

"Yes. Medyo nakakapanibago lang na hindi na kasing lamig kesa sa Vancouver but it's a nice change. Anong gagawin natin today?"

"Mag-o-ooffice po si Chuck pero mag-d-dinner po tayo mamaya sa labas."

"It's been years since your Dad and I had been home, maybe you can take us to some of the places you and Chuck like to go to?"

Maia nodded. "Gusto po nyong bisitahin si Mother Carmela?"

"Ah! Yes! Doon kayo ni Chuck nagkakilala?"

"Parang ganun nga po"

"Huh?"

Chuck had mentioned about a girl who sent a Facebook friend request in the past but didn't go into detail anymore. His family soon learned that he was in a relationship with a girl he met while he volunteered at the orphanage. Maia carefully explained to Mommy how Chuck's box was a blessing to her and her family and how it somehow helped them escape from poverty. "...para pong magkakadugtong yung swerte na natanggap namin nung mga panahon na yon. Nakuha ko yung box ni Chuck; nanalo kami ng pabahay; nagkaroon ako ng scholarship. Gumanda ang buhay namin pagktapos kong matanggap yung box..."

Mommy was actually impressed at how humble Maia was in spite of how her life turned out to be. Just before they met at the kitchen that morning, Mommy had seen Maia hanging out some laundry in the garden. Celia, the maid, was with her but Maia was doing most of the work. She lived in a luxurious environment, but she dressed ordinarily. She also spoke respectfully and humbly.

"Ah, Ma..."

"Ano yun?"

"Pinagluto ko po kayo ng tuyo. Naalala ko kasi na yan ang paborito nyo." Maia said, placing a plate of the fish in front of Mommy. "Kain na po tayo"

"Wow! Na-miss ko nga ito."

"Gumawa din po ako ng ensalada. Nakabili po kami ni Nanay ng itlog na pula nung isang araw"

Mommy was delighted. Her fears about Maia not living up to her standards of being a good wife to Chuck slowly diminished. She saw how much Chuck loved his fiancée and how Maia maintained her modesty in spite of everything. Even Daddy was impressed with Maia. "She's the daughter I never had" he once said. It was not that he was not close to Dino's wife Kim, but Maia had other traits that Daddy appreciated – Filipino traits like respect for elders, humility, and resourcefulness.