XLV. I'M SCARED

"Thea." said Victoria when we were studying before the last day of exams.

"Yeah?" I said, not raising my eyes from the book.

"I'm scared." she said quietly and I looked up from my book, closing it and placing it on the floor next to me.

I moved from where I was sitting opposite her to next to her and put my arm around her.

"Why?" I asked and she bit her lip but I pulled her lip away from her teeth with my finger. "Don't do that, Vica, it ruins your lips."

"Sorry." she licked her lips quickly.

"Tell me why you're scared, darling." I said softly to her and she looked up from the ground.

"People's opinions." she said. "Not just my father's but everyone's. I mean Damiano, Thomas, Ethan, Enzo, Nica and Luca took it well but not everyone is as supportive as them. Lots will tell us it's wrong and they'll disrespect us."

"Oh, Viccy." I hugged her to me.

"It's my first time dating a girl, I'm scared of people's judgement." she whispered against my chest and I kissed her head.

"Vica, listen to me, alright?" I said and she nodded her head. "As long as you're sure of your feelings then you shouldn't be scared of people's judgement. We are free, we can be whatever we want, love whoever we want and you know that. You know you're not doing anything, and I mean anything, wrong because this is how you were made. People will always judge no matter what you do, don't let them influence you. What they say should not have an effect on you, you just need to not give a fuck and throw anyone who says what we're doing is wrong off a cliff," here she laughed and I smiled. "of course not literally." I held her shoulders and pushed her off me, holding her in front of me for her to look into my eyes and for me to look into hers. "We love each other, Vica, and if anyone ever says we don't it's because they're just jealous of the love we have and how much we do not care about people who don't like what we're doing because we're both girls. Be proud of who you are and never let anyone bring that confidence down."

She stayed silent for a while, looking at the ground, before looking at me and smiling.

"Thank you." she kissed me like never before.

I chuckled. "What was that for."

"For loving me and having the best advice ever." she said, smiling like a little child with an icecream.

"You're welcome." I said. "Thank you for making me believe in love again."

We studied for a bit more and then we decided to go for it and tell my parents that we were together. We wanted to get it off our chest.

We walked down and saw my mother sitting with my brother, playing a game and my father was reading a book.

I stopped at the stairs and looked at how normal they all looked, as if this family wasn't going to be teared apart soon. They had gotten the divorce agreed with the court and were now deciding who would get everything they owned. The only two thing left that they had to decide was custody of me and Matteo, since Luca was now older than eighteen, and the house.

"I'll miss this." I whispered. Matteo had beaten our kother at the game and he jumped up and started dancing. My mother pretended to be angry and my father was high-fiving Matteo.

She hugged me from the side. "Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think."

"I hope." I said and continued walking down the stairs.

"Hello, girls. Do you want something to eat?" asked my mother.

"Me and mommy were making a cake!" Matteo exclaimed happily.

"Uh, no, thank you." I said, sitting next to my father. I motioned Victoria to do the same, you could tell she was stressed. "I wanted to tell you something."

"Matti, go to your room, OK?" said my mother quietly as she stood from the ground. He nodded and left.

"What did you want to say?" my father asked.

I looked at Victoria and then back at my parents.

"It has been going on for a while and I'm sorry I haven't said anything but me and Vica, Victoria, are well - we're dating." I said and my parents looked at us in shocked.

My mother was the first to react. She stood up from the sofa and came to hug us both.

"Oh, that's great!" she exclaimed. "I feel so happy for the both of you."

"I feel like a proud mother." my father said and we all looked at him weirdly. "It's a saying, alright!"

We all laughed and I smiled. I was grateful for having such supportive parents, I knew not everyone had them.

"I haven't this before but thank you for supporting me." I said.

"I have a gay twin brother, it'd be hard not to." my dad joked and we all laughed.

"And I once thought I was homosexual so I know how scary it feels." my mother said.

"I wish my dad could see my feelings the way you do." said Vica and I squeezed her hand.

"I'm sure he will in the future." my mother said.