XIX. PROMISE

We walked to the park, hand in hand, and, since it was so dark by now, we were there alone. We had gone to an ice cream parlor on the way and got some ice cream for each other.

We sat on the individual swings and started swinging back and forth.

"Chocolate? Seriously? That's like one of the worst flavours ever created." I said, squinting at Victoria who was swinging back and forth next to me.

"You are incorrect." she stopped swinging. "Try it."

She brought the cone closer to me and I licked the ice cream.

"It's alright, better than most other chocolate ice creams I've tried." I said. "But, lets be honest, every flavor of Luigi's ice cream is heaven. He could have literal mud flavour and it'd taste amazing."

"I agree, his ice creams are the best in Rome." she said.

"Try mine." I said, bringing the cone closer to her and she leaned forward licking my ice cream.

"I need to say, I've never been a fan of salted caramel but this is good as fuck." she said and we both laughed.

"Hey," she turned to face me. "what would you say a year ago if someone told you that in a year you'd be dating me?" I said curiously.

"Being honest, I'd probably laugh in their face and say 'yeah, right', and then make fun of them for it." she laughed and then looked at me, smiling. "But then I'd learn to know falling for you was the best 'mistake' I've ever made."

She made speech marks around the word 'mistake' and I smiled. How did I deserve her?

"We've been dating for less than an hour but you're making me feel more loved than ever." I said, laughing slightly.

It was true. I've never felt more loved than in this past hour.

She smiled. "That was my intention." she whispered. "Now, let's see who can jump furthest from the swing."

I nodded and started swinging, she did too. The swings were in a pit of sand since they were made for children, which fall all the time, so that they wouldn't get hurt if they fell.

After about twenty seconds of swinging, Victoria said, "OK, on three we jump, alright?"

"Alright!" I said back.

"One! Two! Three!" she shouted and we both jumped.

Neither of us landed on our feet, we both tumbled down onto the sand and started laughing.

I had my back against the sand and Victoria was laying side ways, her face against my chest. She lifted her head and we both looked into each other's eyes before joining our lips together. We lay there in the sand with the dark sky above us, kissing.

We pulled away after a while, both breathless, and smiled at each other cheekily. Victoria got up and held her hand out to me, I took it and she pulled me up.

She laughed and started patting her clothes to get the sand off, me doing the same.

"Should we get going back to your house? They're probably worried, it's been a couple hours." said Victoria and I nodded.

We started walking, hand in hand, back to the house.

"I'm scared." I said, and she turned to me with confusion on her face.

"About what, my love?" she said. Oh, that did something to me.

"I'm scared of what I'm feeling towards you." I said, quietly. "I'm scared you'll get what you want and then leave me. I'm scared about what everyone will think. I'm scared you'll find out I'm not who you thought I was and leave me. I'm scared you'll leave me."

She looked and me and smiled, hugging me to her side.

"I'll never leave you. I like you too much to do that. Don't worry, my darling, with me you're safe forever." she said, kissing the side of my head.

"Promise?" I looked up from the ground.

"Promise."