Our conversation stopped there and I went back to my locker to get my bag. Then back to the front office where I ran into Tom unexpectedly. Him and his dad were talking outside the principles office in hushed tone. They looked up and immediately stopped talking when I walked closer.

"Sophie your mum is in there right now you may go in" Mr Pine tells me.

Tom, Mr Pine and I all cram into the office that was getting pretty full. Clara, her mum, my mum and the principle were all there. I sit next to Clara in the only empty seat. She scowls then looks away.

"Uh Sophie now we need your side of the story" Mr Hyland the principle says.

I don't say anything, it's no use they won't believe me. And Clara will only call me a dobber and make my life worse. I'd rather leave it, after all I know and payed the ultimate price for pushing Clara to far.

"We cannot do anything without both sides" the principle says.

I remain silent and stare at the floor wishing I could sink into it.

"If I may say so, I was there in time to see Clara throw the first punch" Tom speaks up.

Why was he doing this for me? Sticking up for me? I knew he got bullied but why would he risk someone hating him again if he managed to come through it. Wouldn't you be to afraid to get on someone's bad side out of fear of being that kid again?

"Go on" says Mr Hyland with intrest.

"Well Sophie did push her back but I can assure you that was self defense. Then Sophie got knocked down again and was punched and hit repeatedly" he said.

"That's when I walked in the room" Mr Pine added.

The principle sat there thinking about all this.

"Well then it seems I have no choice but to suspend you Clara" Mr Hyland concludes.

"But..but" she protests.

"No I don't want to hear it, bullying, epescially physical bullying is taken very seriously here and this is not the first time you have hurt Sophie physically. Why we should have expelled you by now but your parents are trying so hard to get you a good education. Don't screw it up" he told her.

"I hope your happy Dobson" Clara sneers at me.

Dobson was her code name for dobber oddly enough.

-flashback-

"Why did to you get me in trouble?" Clara asks.

I stay quiet.

"Little snitch"Clara glares at me.

"I don't know what your talking about" I try and sound innocent.

"I know you dobbed on me"she says, angry.

"Now everyone will know your a snitch" she says plastering a fake smile.

"Hmm perhaps I will call you Dobson because you are always dobbing on me" she says before she turns and walks off.

-end of flashback-

Clara storms out of the principles office.

"Sophie I'm sorry, I really am" Clara's mum, Mrs Roberts, says kindly.

"It's ok" I accept the apology.

"No it's not. I don't know what's going on love but I will find out. You can't live in fear of going to school" she says patting her hand on mine before leaving.

Her and I were really close when Clara and I were friends. But a year soon made us strangers to each other. Although the thing I loved most about Mrs Roberts was her kindness. And I'm glad she still possessed it. How could someone as kind as her have such a spoilt brat like Clara?

"Come on Soph let's go" my mum says.

We get up to leave with a thanks to the principle.

"Wait!" Tom grabs my arm on the way past.

I turn back to find him grabbing scrap paper and a pen. He starts scribbling down on a piece of paper. Afterwards he hands it to me.

"Call me, no one should go through this alone" he smiles as he hands me the paper, not even embarrassed to be giving his number to a chick in front of his dad and the principle. Or my mum for that matter. Strange. I take it and look at it then back to him with uncertainty. Why was he being so nice to me? I'm sure he didn't like like me but there was another reason he was being nice.

"Thanks" I say politely.

And with that we leave. Tom watching me go, giving me a friendly smile that said "don't worry you can rely on me".

At home, in my bedroom I sit on my bed and smile. After such a bad day one strangers kindness has lifted me up. You never know what a simple word or phrase of kindness can do to someone's life or day. It was the first time my spirits were so high after school especially this day. To make things even better I got a call from Emma. I was so happy to hear her voice, only the background sounded like she was in a car travelling. We had a conversation for half an hour then she had to go. I decide to text Tom after talking to Emma.

Me:Thanks so much for sticking up for me today. You have no idea how much it means to me.

A bit lame I know but I'm going with it. He texted back a few minutes later, surprisingly.

Tom: I do actually. Besides no one should to through that.

Tom: look out your window btw :)

I head over to my window that over looks my back patio and the beach. Standing on the beach I the same figure that hovered above me earlier this morning. Tom. I run downstairs telling mum I'll be back soon. And run to the beach.