That was when another thought crossed my mind. "Before me, you said there were others that attacked each other. What happened to them?"

"They came in to try to pull them apart, but by then it was too late."

"Oh, I see." I guessed they were left to rot like the two beings behind us.

"But now that I think about it..." I gestured him to go on, so he did. "They were persistent to keep them alive for some reason."

I opened my eyes and peered his way. "What do you mean?"

"They brought in a medic team," he specified, not breaking his stare at the false firmament. "They tried to resuscitate them as they wheeled them out on gurneys."

My eyes fixed themselves on the gritty concrete ground and the splatters of dried-up blood staining it. I digested his words and began pondering. There had to be a way out of that place. There just had to be.

That was when it hit me like the start of an apocalypse on a normal day.

"I think I may have a plan but ..." I averted my eyes to his pale face. "You might not like the sound of it," I admitted.

He cocked a brow and looked my way with a curious "What do you mean?"

I took in a huge breath and expelled it. "I need you to stab me."

His eyes grew large with shock. "What did you say?"

"Lower your voice," I whispered. "Okay, just trust me. I know exactly where you can hit me, so I don't die. Hopefully."

"Hopefully?" He loud-whispered back.

"I have two anatomy and physiology classes under my belt." I didn't mention how I skipped them half the time. What he didn't know wouldn't kill him.

I laid down the rest of the plan. He thought it would get me killed. However, I wasn't going to go down that easily, and if I did, at least I would go down having tried.

XXX

"She's been stabbed! She's hurt!" Devlin cried, banging at the sliding doors. "Help, she's losing a lot of blood!"

Curled on the ground and heaving for my dear life, I clutched onto the bottom half of my abdomen. Each moment felt like a scorching hot pitchfork was constantly being jabbed into my side. The pain was near unbearable, but I was mobile enough to fight if need be. A gunshot echoed through the room, and I snapped my head up to a collapsed Devlin.

A siren went off in my head. My whole world froze. This couldn't be happening.

No! No! No! What did I do!

Fear-stricken, I scream, "Devlin!" then dragged my body to his side. Shaking with bloodied hands, I reached out to him; however, I stopped when I saw it.

A long dart-like syringe lodged in the nape of his neck. It carried some sort of light-blue liquid. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a mere tranquilizer. My heartbeat returned to its normal rhythmic beat as I heaved a sigh of relief.

Just as it did, the doors slid open. Three creatures in white and blue scrubs rushed towards me and placed me on the gurney. As they pulled me away from Devlin's motionless body, all I could think of was how I promised to get the both of us out of here, even if it killed me.

As the doors slid shut behind, I caught a number sixty-nine on a nearby label and felt like I was going to puke. Seriously, of all numbers.

One of them put an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose and instructed me to breathe normally. However, I was struggling; the pain was excruciating, and each breath felt like the deepening sting of a hornet. We passed by multiple stainless steel sliding doors. They had to be more than fifty. As we went by each one, I could hear the screams and roars of several beings. There had to be over two hundred of us here at the very least.

A wave of bleach overwhelmed my nostrils as we rolled through the final door. I was blinded by a flash of white light, but my vision quickly settled and everything came to form. I was in an operating room. Blue drapes everywhere, my eyes remained fixed on the tray of utensils. The staff quickly got dressed into sterile gowns, before transferring me from the soiled gurney to the operating table. Sliding their gloves with their backs to me, I quickly grabbed a scalpel in each hand and slid them under my arms. With their personal protective equipment on, they made their way to my side and began to undress me.

Ignoring my pain for a few seconds, I shot up and lacerated the two closest to me in the neck. As the two fell to the tiled ground with blood oozing from their slashes, the third one dashed to the door and desperately tried to put in the code to open the door, failing every time. I jumped off the operating table and gave the creature a swift kick to the head.

The being hit the ground with a skull-cracking thud. However, before it could pass out, I held it by the collar and threatened, "You dare make a scene, and you die."

"P-please d-don't hurt me," he begged with his hands clasped together, "I h-have a f-family."

Normally, that would have softened me up, and I would have left him unconscious. However, now was different; I didn't care. That part of me – my human side – had died long ago.

So, I lied, "I'll let you go after you give me some information."

The creature complied and spilled everything. I was informed of every nitty detail from passwords and security to the main control room's location and the bosses' headquarters. Once I knew I had everything I needed, I punctured him in the heart a few times then left him spasming for his last bloodied breath. It had hardly been an hour, and I had already seen five dead bodies. The Devil Boy was right, death here in the Underworld was inevitable. On top of it, I was a murderer.

Grabbing a bandage and some gauze from a nearby cupboard, I wrapped my wound up and took a shot of morphine. I found a pair of clean blue scrubs in the corner and, using the sink, I washed myself up and tied back my thick curly hair into a bun. Looking at my reflection, you would see an eager young woman trying to survive, but all I saw was a monster. Swiping an access card from one of the dead doctors, I wondered how worried my mother and gramps were and whether they would be proud of me right then. Teary with guilt, I shook my head and blocked any more thoughts before putting the code in and walking out to face my next challenge.

 Teary with guilt, I shook my head and blocked any more thoughts before putting the code in and walking out to face my next challenge