Chapter 1 - Like Melted Chocolate

Start from the beginning

“I do.” She nods.

“Are you going to share it with me?”

“Penelope.”

“Old-fashioned. Nice. What do people call you?”

“Penelope.” She shrugs. “I like my name.” She glances at her watch; her heart rate has dropped to a normal rhythm. Her breathing is no longer laboured. If she pushes, she might be able to get something out of the remaining stretch. “I have to get going. Nice to meet you, Gilbert.”

“Perhaps we’ll run into each other again some morning.”

“Only if you leave the dog at home. “ She calls as she turns down a bend in the path. She pushes herself this time, hard. Forcing herself to bolt up the set of wooden stairs up the steepest section of the path. When she reaches the tope, Penelope is breathless and sweating. She slows to a jog and exits onto a quiet side street. A few blocks down she stops at the white house. Entering through the patio doors into the lower level, she pushed her sneakers off without breaking stride. In her bedroom, she sheds her running clothes, leaving them in a pile on the floor outside her bathroom, and jumps into the shower.

Twenty minutes later, her skin red from the scalding water, she reaches into her closet and pulls out her uniform. Dressing quickly, she sits in front of her mirror and clicks on her television, pushing the channel button rhythmically until she settles on an old cartoon. The familiar theme song from her childhood makes her smile. Opening her make-up case, she leans forward to apply her mascara when a knock sounds at her door.

“Come in.” She calls, not looking away from the mirror.

“What the hell are you watching?” Her twin brother, Ash asks, walking into the room. “Seriously?”

“Cause you never used to watch this stuff.”

“Yeah, when I was five or something.”

“Mmmm hmmm,” Penelope looks at him out of the corner of her eye. “I must have imagined catching you playing with my dolls when you were twice that age.”

“You have an active imagination, Sis.” He laughs and opens the doors to her wardrobe.

“Are we experimenting with cross-dressing today?” She raises an eyebrow as he leans into her closet.

“Excuse me?”

“What else could you possibly be looking for in there?”

“That dvd I gave you for your birthday.”

“And you think I keep it in my closet?”

“Yup, look, here it is.” Reaching into the back of the closet, he pulls out a small brown bag and tucks it under his arm.

“Oh yes, that small brown bag dvd you gave me… filled with movie goodness I’m sure.”