17 - Christams Ball

Start from the beginning

"Wait Harlow!" Remus called out to her, catching her attention.

Peter snickered to himself, "Hug goodbye?" He cheekily joked, a wide shit-eating grin centred on his face, one that only grew when he witnessed the grumpy look on Harlow's face.

"Oh piss off!" Harlow spat, her voice faltering slightly when she heard how high it had gone. Something the boys found hilarious. Obviously Harlow wasn't pleased at all.

With the ball being on the last day of school before the holiday most students made sure to pack a little early, so to not squander the time they have to get ready for the annual ball. For such a clever girl, Harlow never caught onto the idea, but lucky for her all she planned to do, was to get changed. Changed in her own room, and by herself. She didn't want any part in the girlie get ready together that Lily had invited her to in their dorm.

No desire at all.

But she did desire to see the boys once she was ready.

Harlow was ready in a flash compared to most. She took a long shower before even thinking of her next steps. Her mind was still filled with dread towards the ball and for some odd reasons showers or the pouring rain always helped to ease her complex mind. Nothing else worked. She couldn't get drunk or high. She had tried multiple times, but alas they had no effect on her.

Stepping out the shower and going back to her room she was quick to use a heating charm that she could use to dry her hair. Water droplets falling from her hair and onto the ground making it slippery was one of her pet peeves. Once her hair was dry Harlow started randomly forming plaits in the wavy hair. She had no clue what she was aiming for, but she was attempting to go with the flow. Something she doesn't do often. After being satisfied with the number of plaits Harlow moved on to getting dressed.

She had to thank Sirius, at the very least once more.

The suit was all white, a slight plunging v-shape that had two golden buttons to clasp shut, the trousers fell loosely to the floor but were tailored to be straight legged. It was simple and she could fight in it. Something she confirmed within the first second by defeating an invisible enemy in her room.

But then she got stumped, she had no idea what shoes to wear.

She could wear her boots but they were dirty from trudging through the muddy school grounds. Or perhaps she could wear her plain black pumps, which were extremely flimsy.

So she turned to the Marauders, she had no clue why. But, they were her only hope. So once again she was patiently waiting after knocking on their door in the hallways of the boys tower. The door slowly swung open revealing a smiling James, his massive smile that he always had was what she saw first every time she looked at him.

That's why it took her a second to notice his eyes were not on her face. James must have felt her realise because his eyes went wide and he gulped slowly before returning his eyes to her face. He sent her an apologetic smile, "Sorry bout that." He muttered as he rubbed his neck awkwardly.

Harlow watched in amusement and let out a soft laugh. "It's fine." She dismissed peering past his shoulder, "Is everyone decent?"

James paused for a second recalling if he had seen the boys in their suits. "Eh, yeah we are. And you look gorgeous by the way." He complimented and welcomed her into the room.

"You look very handsome, James."

"Thanks." He mumbled, as light blush coating his cheeks.

Harlow walked fully into their dorm and found Remus and Peter lounging around the room. Remus was reading his newest book and Peter was throwing sweets into the air and trying to catch them with his mouth, meaning he was getting sugar all over his shirt. Sirius was fixing his hair in one of the mirrors and getting audibly frustrated by it.