42. Astar - Afterglow

Start from the beginning

I quickly turn back around so that I'm facing September, giving her my full, undivided attention.

September lifts her shoulders up into a shrug as she turns around, "You have been off as late," she begins, "decided to have a little moment with you. Have been wanting to for a while anyways," a little giggle falls from her lips, moving to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. She then moves over to where the vanities are, grabbing some hairspray and spraying it over her hair to retain some of the volume.

"Yeah," a familiar voice speaks up and I can feel my heart rate pick up just a bit, "you have been off as late," Sapphire mutters, crossing her arms over her chest as her eyes meet mine. Despite being apart for so long, it's like not even a day has passed by as we make eye contact.

"Think that's my cue to leave...something is...phone call to make. Yup," September nods, completely forgetting her phone which is on the vanity as she exits the locker room.

A small laugh leaves my lips because that's such a September thing to do.

"I don't think I've been off," I deflect, moving to look down at my thighs.

"Bullshit. You look away from me when you're lying. You're forgetting that I know you," she mumbles, hands falling to her side. I know because I can hear the sound as her hands make contact with her legs. Her footsteps grow closer and closer until I can see her black heels as she enters my eyesight.

"You've been ignoring my texts which you never do. At least have the decency to open them," she grumbles, arms coming back up to cross over her chest again as my eyes finally raise to meet with hers.

"You've been off since that day..." she drowns off, narrowing her eyes at me before something seems to click. "Wait a minute. Your entire face changed whenever I opened the door," she continues, starting to pace back and forth.

I can tell that she's creating an evidence board in her head, connecting the dots of what went wrong.

"Wait," she then stops, eyes turning towards me frantically and she's stepping up towards me again.

"Don't tell me you think I slept with Harry,"

"Uh...yes," I breathe out, my tone making me sound unsure of myself. There's no denying it. "You were wearing his clothes, no pants and you had love bites on your neck. What was I supposed to think?" I breathe out, eyebrows furrowing as I hold her eye contact.

"You think, me, your best friend," she then points to herself, "would sleep with someone I know that you have started to like?" She's breathless as she speaks, voice dripping with confusion, if I try to think about it too much I could say I hear a bit of hurt.

I fish-mouth for a few moments, opening and closing my mouth before finally answering. "Uh...yes?" I breathe out, however, it comes out as more of a question.

"Wait, I don't like Harry," I huff, moving to cross my arms over my chest to mirror her. I may have admitted it to myself but I'm not ready to admit it outloud.

"That's also bullshit but we'll come back to that. We need to address what we're talking about right now," Sapphire moves to sit beside me on the bench, turning sideways so that she is straddling the bench, one leg on either side. "Gonna need you to look right at me when I say this so you know I'm not lying," she says, voice gentle.

She's always so gentle. Her touch. Her words. Her aura. Everything.

Her aura is like a bright yellow, brighter than the sun.

I do what she asks, turning so that I'm facing her and am now straddling the bench.

"I'm going to walk you through the events of that night, yes?"