2.6 - ending p1

Don't forget to comment throughout the chapter, I would love to hear your feedback on my writing! x

...

On the ground, the leaves were slowly gathering bit by bit. Mason and Aeden both arranged to explore the city of Amsterdam. Aeden fully intended to drag Mason to her favourite cafe around the corner of her home.

Currently, the two were sitting in front of the large window of Cafe George. A small but rather charming cafe whenever you need to clear your head. It was acknowledged around the inhabitants of Amsterdam that the famous captain of their football team, came here slightly often.

Aeden observed as the leaves fall on the ground. Autumn was her favourite season of the year. The leaves reminded her of her home back in England, where the large oak tree in front of her bedroom window lost his leaves every year.

"It's so peaceful here," Mason said as he took the last sip from his hot chocolate. Aeden nodded as she watched a young man cycle on his bike past the window. "I know, that's why I love to come here so often"

She placed her mug on the table and took a glance at Mason as he was already looking at her. He showed her a small smile and Aeden felt heat rise to her cheeks, just like it did every single time he so much as smiled at her.

"Come on," Mason said, holding his hand out for her to take as he shoved a bill under the mug with his other, "Can't sit in front of the window all day. We have a city to explore." Aeden laughed, slipping her hand into his and letting him pull her outside.

The two of them walked in comfortable silence, their joined hands swinging between them until they got to the tube station. As much as Aeden adored the falling leaves, she didn't want to walk outside in it for far too long. Before she knew it, they were on the train, trundling along through Amsterdam's network of subterranean tunnels. She and Mason were talking in whispers, muffling their own laughs.

They were almost disgustingly happy, although Aeden couldn't help but feel like something was slightly off with Mason.

They emerged into the freezing air, the great green and orange expanse of Vondelpark stretching out before them. Aeden's face split into a wide grin, before she ran ahead of Mason, turning around to pull him along. The poor boy simply shook his head, allowing himself to be dragged into the park.

If Aeden had to pick a favourite place in Amsterdam, besides Cafe George, it would be one of the rivers in Vondelpark. Mason allowed himself to be pulled down the path, avoiding the tree roots which jutted up, hidden beneath a layer of orange turned leaves. There was something peaceful about it. The sun dipped closer to the horizon and the pinks and oranges which painted the clouds slowly spread out above them.

They reached the river, and Mason promptly dropped Aeden's hand as they looked over to the ducks swimming in the water. She took a few deep breaths in and out, relaxing.

"Are you alright?" Aeden met Mason's eyes once again. She felt as though she could speak with Mason comfortably. He shook his head a little, his hair falling into his face, and Aeden's gaze softened.

"Was it really my fault? The lost matches of Chelsea?" Mason's voice was heavy with emotion, and it made Aeden's heart ache for him. "It isn't your fault." She smiled a little to show Mason she understood him.

"It was just bad luck. It wasn't anyone's fault in particular. It's the team's fault. You can't blame a loss on one player when football is a team sport." She reached her hand up to his face, brushing her thumb softly against his cheek. His eyes dropped to meet hers and Aeden held his gaze.

"Why are they saying it? Why is everyone blaming me for it?" Aeden shook her head fiercely, pushing Mason's head back up to meet her eyes. She hoped he could see the conviction there.

"Don't, Mason. Don't listen to them. You're Mason Mount, the Chelsea kid. Everyone makes mistakes, I do too." She had both hands on his face now, staring intently into his eyes. In any other situation, the position would have been romantic, but now she needed him to believe her, Needed him to understand.

"I know, you're right," Mason muttered to himself, smiling a little. His gaze dropped to the floor, and even if her eyes missed the loss of his, Aeden knew he was feeling at least a little better.

"Come a long way from being irrelevant, haven't I?" She smiled up at him, hinting at what Mason said to Declan about her. She saw a slight flush of shame across his face, but she simply brushed her thumb across his cheek once again. "Don't worry. I know you wouldn't call me that anymore." Her voice was teasing, and Mason smiled back at her in return, shaking his head a little. The pain in his eyes wasn't completely gone, but it had lessened, and Aeden supposed that really was the best she could do.

"Pretty unforgettable, really." Aeden felt the blush coat her cheeks, but she didn't really mind it. "Am I making you blush, Aeden Taylor?" Mason's tone was just as teasing as hers had been only a few minutes ago, and she felt her face heat up even more if that was really possible. This boy was ridiculous, but Aeden couldn't help it, she adored him just the same.

"Maybe just a little bit, Mason Mount." Her eyes met his once more, and the light there was enough to convince her that she'd done a good job of making him happy once again. Aeden lifted herself onto the very tips of her toes, bringing her face even closer to Mason's, smiling almost as a challenge to him. Her forehead brushed his, and she heard him take in an audible breath.

Slowly, he leaned down, and Aeden closed her eyes, smiling. Her hands still rested on his face as their lips brushed, and she could feel him smiling. The touch was like a question, almost as if he was waiting for her to pull away or end it here, but Aeden had an answer. She didn't want to.

She reached her hands round to the back of his head, drawing him closer to her, and then his hands were knotted in the fabric at the small of her back. Her world was spinning as she pulled him closer into her. And as their lips moved against each others', Aeden couldn't ever picture herself wanting to stop.

The world around them faded away, and the only thing on Aeden's mind was that she wanted him closer, closer, ever closer.

She hadn't ever been kissed like this before, that was for certain. At that moment, they weren't facing an important game the next day, they weren't two players of the opposite teams, they weren't really anywhere. They were just two people who were somehow irrevocably in love. They were just two people kissing as if their lives depended on it, getting lost in each other like a maze and not wanting to find their way out.

Unwillingly, Aeden drew away from him, and the world came crashing back to her. The smile on her face threatened to almost split in two. She must have been blushing more than she ever had, but still, she couldn't bring herself to care.

"Unforgettable indeed," Aeden said, her voice little more than a breath, but if it was possible Mason smiled more, and Aeden fought back the urge to pull him right back down to her again. Mason loosed a breath, lifting a hand from where it rested on her back to brush it against her cheek as she had done barely minutes before. It seemed almost like a lifetime ago. Aeden didn't ever want this little bubble of theirs to burst.

She could see the happiness in his eyes. She supposed her eyes must have looked rather the same. Full of light, and all that.

——————————

A/N
7/3/23:
BIG NEWS! After a long big break, I've decided to continue this story. I have always fallen in love with the characters and would love to write a further story about Aeden and Mason.

So if you would like to read 'BREATHING RED', the sequel to 'BREATHING BLUE'...
Stay tuned!

:)
lots of love, lisa