Chapter 61 - I Love You

Start from the beginning

"Yes, please." TangShi beamed with excitement, stretching on her toes to peer over the nearest customers and could only make out a tall blue food truck about ten meters away. The smell filling the air and pointing out to her she was starving as her stomach rumble din protest of being empty.

The reminder of being sick this morning as why she hadn't eaten hit her like a slap in the face as the memory of the test earlier came at her all at once. It was the weirdest and minorist thought that triggered it, even though she hadn't forgotten. Her mood nosediving once again and she became foolishly tearful and swallowed down a clogging lump in her throat from rising. Her heart aching with the stupid reaction to something so nothing but it felt like it opened the floodgates.

"YuZhi..." She tugged at his sleeve, stopping their progress, turning her face away so passerby's wouldn't see the instant tears as they began to roll down her face. Unable to hold it in to stop it as the thoughts tumbled out and she felt instantly fragile and vulnerable and lost. Her emotions hitting her like a slam for no obvious reason and YuZhi glanced down expecting her to be telling him how she wanted her crepe, only to find her sobbing.

"Hey... are you crying? Tang, baby, what is it?" YuZhi cradled her inside his jacket, pulling the side over her face so she could hide and guided her out of the crowd towards the inner edge of the Bund that was quitter than the river railing side. Concern rising and becoming instinctively protective over her. "Tang, talk to me? You were fine a second ago." He pleaded, checking he rover in case she was hurt and confused at the change.

"I'm sorry. It's just..." She couldn't' say the words 'it hit me hard that I really am pregnant' without thinking of the 'and it might not be yours' and choking up again. Her mind back to that scrambled mess she was driving here and pulling inwards once more to hide her guilt and shame from him. Her eyes glazing over as she sniffed it back and clawed to reel it down again. She truly never thought she would be a woman in this situation where she might be carrying the child of a man she wasn't married to.

"Maybe this was a mistake. I'm sorry. I thought it would cheer you up and give us a time out from reality for a little while longer. I'll take you home. I didn't mean to upset you." YuZhi deflated, feeling stupid for forcing her here right after learning the news but he hadn't known how else to deal with it. Scared of his own feeling when he sat down to fully process sit and needing to be around her in a setting where they couldn't think about it just yet.

"No, wait. Don't. I don't want to leave." TangShi cried as he tugged her sideways, still shielding her from prying eyes and she wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face against his chest. Inhaling his scent deeply and looking for the calm and safety he always brought her before. Needing that now and trying to pull herself back to calm.

YuZhi hugged her tight, walking her backwards with careful steps to get them out of the pedestrian traffic and rested his chin on top of her head once he had her in a quieter spot. Making her invisible to people walking by and pulling his jacket around her fully so he looked like a hugely pregnant man with four feet.

"I'll be okay in a minute. We can go for a walk. It's just everything catching up and so much I have to unpack mentally. It doesn't feel real." She mumbled into the safe haven he had created around her with his arms and jacket, cocooning her face in a little tent area and he ducked his head down to beside hers to join her in there.

"I shouldn't have brought you somewhere so busy. I'm sorry." He nuzzled his cheek against hers and closed his eyes savoring the intimacy she was allowing and missing this more than anything. His own chest aching with this closeness. He longed for the days when he could touch her anytime he wanted, hold her close and kiss her and desperately wanted that all back. The baby was a hurdle but not impossible to get over and being like this drove home just how much he needed her. In time he knew it wouldn't hurt either of them anymore and he could lay it to rest as long as he had her.