Chapter 51 - I Need To See Him

TangShi stood outside the huge and foreboding Leng group building as it's mirrored structure stretched into the clouds above her like a black dagger. A foreboding skyscraper that helped shape Shanghai's skyline in its impressive size. Her hands shaking and her heart rhythm chaotic as nerves got the better of her. Terrified right down to the roots of her soul, but she desperately had to see YuZhi. Days of being shunned by him had left her bereft as though mourning a death. She had no sense of closure due to the fast and traumatic way it ended to help her get through this and she couldn't stop yearning for him.

She had waited until Linlin left to go run errands, pretending to be asleep and slid out to come to the office buildings in hopes of catching him. Just one minute to see him. Linlin had kept telling her to give him time and space, but she didn't understand the agony of the long silent emptiness, or the deep dark hole his lack of presence left. She had to see him, even if it was only once, to say her goodbyes and imprint his face to memory to replace the one of heartbreak and misery he left her with. There was no rational thought as to what she would say, just a deep need to be close to him again. Fueled by lack of sleep and a foggy saturated mind that was close to being fatigue drunk.

She pushed her nausea down and her doubts aside and found courage from somewhere deep within her. To be able to walk forward and in the glass multiple doors that spanned the full front of the main entrance. Aware of eyes and heads turning her way and even though she knew nothing had gone public about their separation, her guilt shamed her so that her face flushed, and she dropped her eyes to the floor.

Realistically staff down here were awed at seeing the fiancée of their CEO wandering in at this time of the day given she had never graced the building before and were of course curious. She was elegantly dressed in a long linen dress and tan sandals that showcased her petite figure, her long dark hair swept to one shoulder in loose waves and half concealed with a floppy straw hat to shield her from the sun. She wore sunglasses to shade her red puffy eyes but to them it was a celebrity necessity to shield identity and they thought nothing of it. To them, she was a natural beauty in simple fashion and a sight to behold.

TangShi wandered to a long arched silver desk that took up the entire left wall, manned by three pretty girls in matching navy uniforms. The golden logo of Long Group on a massive metal mural behind them.

"I'd like directions to YuZhi Leng's office please. I'm his fiancée." She sounded more confident than she felt, aware she needed to pull off an act of casualness to seem like this was a spontaneous lunch visit and held her breath as the first girl perked up and tilted her head towards her.

"Ahh yes, Miss Lei. We know who you are. I can have one of our ground staff accompany you to the top floor and take you right to him." The sweet girl offered, admiring the flawlessness of this woman up close after only seeing her in news articles and video clips from their engagement. It was an unwritten rule among Leng group staff that you never turned away known family members or friends for fear of being fired. Even if their showing up wasn't in the diary.

"There's no need. If you point me in the direction of the elevator and give me a floor, I can find it myself. I want to surprise him." TangShi tried to stop her inner tremble and smiled warmly, her face aching with the effort and sure her shallow breathing was probably noticeable. Petrified of being caught out and turned away. Suddenly fearful that he might have had her blacklisted from entering.

"Ahhh, okay, I won't announce you then. If you head to the far left elevator over there, it will take you to floor fifty five. That's the management floor. And there will be a receptionist upon leaving that will further help you. I'll come over and give you access to the right floor." The girl nodded gesturing her to follow and then walked along behind the desk at the same speed as TangShi did until they met together at the open end.