Chapter 61 - I Love You

"What are you doing, where are we going?" TangShi resisted as YuZhi came to her side of the jeep, took her hand and slid her out beside him onto the path of the car park that seemed familiar. It was a pretty day and the sun was peeking out from behind grey clouds with a promise of sunshine by noon. A gentle breeze pushing around them and giving a sense of tranquility to this already emotional day.

"Distracting you and reliving a happier memory. We both need a time out and figured this would be a nice change before we go home and face this head on. Processing time." YuZhi coaxed her with him, aware of how sensitive today's appointment was and the fact they both now knew she was pregnant. He didn't want to dwell on the what if's for at least a few hours and aimed for some head space to dodge reality for a little longer. TangShi had been quiet and pensive since leaving and hadn't even noticed the route he took out here instead of heading home.

"Don't you have work? You already keep taking time off to accompany me. I feel like lately you rarely go and that can't be good for Leng group." TangShi tried to object knowing ZhengLi had been left to cope alone again today but YuZhi didn't seem to care. He had chosen time with her to make sure he was where she needed him at any time of the day.

"This is more important. Tang, our future, our relationship, is my priority right now. Even grandfather understands that and knows I need some time off. Let me worry about work and you focus on yourself." He reminded her of the old man's suggestion to go on a long vacation, with a raised brow and small half smile that etched out his left dimple and she relented. Always weak when those dimples came out to change his whole face into a youthful boy.

"Okay but today only. You can't ignore work and leave ZhengLi to take your place. Linlin will never see him if he's doing the work of two of you. She'll disown me for ruining her love life."

"Shhhh... let me worry about that. I can handle Linlin. Come on." YuZhi quieted her with a thumb pressed to her lips while his other fingers were hooked under her chin and led her away from the car, pulling her behind him with linked hands and expelling his demons and woes while out walking with her. They both needed some normalcy brought back after the trauma of these past weeks and that's what he was aiming for.

The Bund was busy today with a street carnival and renaissance themed fair and TangShi broke into a bright smile when she saw the pop-up carts and booths ahead on the two-kilometer walkway. The little temporary seating areas scattered conveniently and the music swaying gently this way on the breeze. Glancing at YuZhi's back and strong shoulders as he forged a path for her and filled with a sudden warmth at why he brought her here. She wondered if he was reliving the night they kissed for the first time and how perfect it had been up until that point. Her stomach fluttered with a woosh of butterflies taking off and she stopped fighting this and let him lead the way, touched that he would think of bringing her here today.

Unlike that night when the carnival was low key, relatively peaceful, and spread out, this was a crammed and vibrant space and planned event that seemed to be teaming already in the early hour of the day. A makeshift market set up in the middle who were selling a huge array of goods and foods. A ton of foreign tourists because of the great weather and a busy children's entertainment area complete with characters in costume.

"This is crazy busy." TangShi called out as they mingled into the crowd and made their way through red roofed stalls and ducked under low hanging bunting and fairy lights. TangShi's inner sunshine mood starting to uncurl and look out at all the awesome things to see and experience and she started to forget her woes. Her dark mood lifting and her eyes grew wide at everything around her. Returning to the girl who had shared the fun with him here last time.

"Tang, come here." YuZhi pulled her into him and slid his arm around her shoulder in a protective manner, turning his body slightly to cocoon her with his own and keep her shielded as they managed through the densest part of the crowd. "It's a Jianbing truck, that's why it's so crowded here. You want some? Are you hungry yet?" YuZhi knew TangShi loved the Chinese breakfast crepes and it was not noon yet so the perfect time to order. She had skipped eating with him earlier because of her nausea and now he knew that keeping her fed was more important than before.