Chapter 37 - Setting the date

"You're late!!" Aunt RuiZi snapped at TangShi as she wandered into the wedding dress boutique. TangShi distracted by gazing around the walls which were lined with gorgeous designer gowns and her face flushed at the haughty tone.

"She's late because of me. My meeting ran over, and I had her wait for me." YuZhi strolled in behind her, catching her hand as he caught up and led the way to the center seating area where couches sat in a sunken circle. Aunt RuiZi scowling at his instant defense of her least favorite person and getting his cheeky smile in response. As if that covered all misdemeanors.

"We're sorry." TangShi cut in, bowing her head, trying to smooth it out before it escalated and tugged YuZhi towards the couch facing Aunt, by the hand and sat down. Sometimes YuZhi reverted to naughty teen and got a kick out of winding up his aunt.

They were here to pick outfits for the obligatory bridal photos which would also be the engagement outfits and then go collect rings to be worn at their party. The date of their engagement had been set and preparations were underway for the event where they would be introduced officially as betrothed. In typical Shanghai fashion, they were holding their ceremony in a five-star function hall where the entire associate list of Leng and Lei would attend. TangShi knew one more step after this would see them as married and she would no longer have to watch what she said or how she referred to him in future or keep jumping through hoops for the PR department. Life could then tick on with some semblance of normalcy.

"I have chosen three dresses for you to look over. Based on your height and body shape I believe they will be the best style for you. Here." Aunt handed over a booklet with fabric samples and photographs of wedding dresses that could pass as ball gowns and she obediently flicked through, YuZhi sitting beside her leaned over to look. They were all pretty and even though it should be a special day for her, this felt like another preparation for a public outing and not meaningful at all. She didn't really have a strong opinion.

"Your coffees." A young girl appeared with a tray and deposited white mugs on the table in front of them, before bowing and leaving and YuZhi pointed at the second dress on the page.

"This one seems like something you would wear." He tapped on the simplest of the three. It was a princess style, not too dissimilar to what she wore to the charity event, only it was white all over with a spattering of tiny diamonds on both bodice and skirt. Longer mid length lace sleeves in a very classic shape of dress with a boat neck. It was pretty but also modest.

"I like it. Let's go with that one." TangShi smiled with genuine agreement, enamored with how pretty it was and really happy with any of the three dresses. Aunt may be a mean and cold person, but her job was fashion, and she had a great eye for it. She wouldn't want TangShi to embarrass the Leng family so had chosen something to compliment TangShi's small frame and natural looks. It was a fairytale dress that no girl could hate.

"That was easy. And quick. We will get you measured today, and they can begin prepping the dress. YuZhi I picked out a black tux for you. Classic, in a modern cut with a red sash and bow tie. TangShi's corsage flowers will be red to keep the traditional Chinese wedding color. You can choose shoes yourself."

"Fine by me." YuZhi was in an agreeable mood and had no opinion on this either, it's not like it was real. He was used to red carpet events and functions and to him this was another one of those. A big show to convince the public of something happy and glamorous and fool them into believing whatever they wanted. It made no difference what he wore as he looked good in anything anyway.

Work was slowing down again and affording him some leisure time lately and life seemed to be going smoothly at home which was a relief. Rhea had left on a trip to the UK that was work related for five weeks which meant she would miss the engagement party and he could relax knowing no drama would ensue. It also gave them an alibi for the public raising questions about her lack of attending what was supposed to be an important day for him. They needed time to cool off apart if they were ever to be able to greet one another amicably in the future.