.35. friends

I scan the aisle of the grocery store for the oreos. I glance up from the array of cookies to spot a familiar face.

"Hi Nick," I say as he walks by me.

"Oh, hey," he says before continuing his walk.

I sigh. I hate that this is what we've been constrained to.

We broke up months ago. It's almost been almost three whole months since the big fight. Clay and I were able to make up, now it should be our turn, right?

I want us to be able to be friends. I want us to be able to chat at the grocery store. I hate all these awkward conversations and cold shoulders.

"Wait, Nick," I say before he can turn to the next aisle.

He turns around, "yeah?"

"Don't you think that we could at least be friends?" I ask him.

He looks surprised, as if that was the last thing he thought that I would want.

He smiles after a moment. "That would be great, y/n."

I return his smile, "Great, I've missed being able to talk to you."

We go back to our shopping. We joke a bit about bagels in the bread aisle. It makes me feel like things are finally starting to settle down from everything that happened all those months ago.

And finally, I can say I'm happier than I've been in a long, long time.

.author's note.

have agreat day/night :)

.word count.. 241