.23. accidental reveals

"What the fuck is this?" Clay asks as we walk in the door. He has twitter pulled up.

Nick grabs the phone from him, and I look over his shoulder to see what Clay's talking about.

My heart stops and my entire body freezes.

No no no. This is not supposed to happen. This is not how anything was supposed to happen. Why does this have to happen to me?

Nick and I were going to wait until we were both ready. Yes, I was ready, but for some reason Nick wasn't. And I respected that.

But Clay was not supposed to find out this way. We weren't supposed to walk into the house from a date to Clay showing us something on twitter.

And that something wasn't supposed to be a picture of Nick and I holding hands in the park.

"What the fuck guys?" Clay repeats.

Nick and I are silent. We give each other a look. What are we supposed to say? We never talked about what we would say if he found out without us telling us.

We thought we were careful.

Obviously we weren't. Some fan saw Sapnap with a girl and took a picture of us. What a horrible way for Dream to find out.

Clay turns to the wall and slams his palms into it. "Tell me what the fuck is going on." He sounds like his blood is boiling so much. It sounds as if all the anger he has ever had in his entire life has built up to this moment.

I've known him for almost half my life, and I've never seen him like this. I've seen him happy. I've seen him sad. I've seen him mad. But I have never seen him outraged. Especially not towards me.

I'm about to say something when Clay asks us another question, this time without the word fuck.

"Just be honest," he says, a little more quietly. He squeezes the bridge of his nose. "Are you two together?"

"Yeah," Nick and I say hesitantly at the same time.

Clay slams his palm into the wall again. "I should've fucking known." We let him think things over for a little bit.

He's probably thinking of all the times we both coincidentally were doing the same thing at the same time, how I would always go grocery shopping with each other, how we always asked what his plans were. Every little thing from the past six months is probably all adding up in his head to equal the same thing we just confirmed for him: we were secretly dating behind his back.

"How long?" he mutters, his hands ball up into fists.

"Six months," I whisper, scared of his reply.

"What?" he says loudly, "six fucking months? And it never occurred to you to tell me?"

"Of course we did Clay," Nick says. He sounds almost disappointed in himself. I don't know if it's because Clay found out or because he was dating me. I don't want to even think about it being about being with me. I don't want to consider that disappointment turning into regret.

"Then when?" Clay spits, taking two steps closer to us, "When were you going to tell me?"

I'm huddled behind Nick. I grip his arm tightly.

"Well we didn't have an exact date," Nick says, "but we were going to."

"So you were just going to keep lying to me until you felt like telling me?" Clay interrogates.

"You know it's not that way, Clay." I take a small step out from behind Nick.

"Sure sounds like it," his voice is filled with poison.