Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

My eyes widened slightly. "You what?!"

"I snuck in," he repeated. "They keep the East entrance very undermanned."

Scoffing, I said, "Well, go find someone else to bother."

He either ignored me or didn't hear me. "Let's dance."

"I'm sorry?"

"Let's-."

"No, I heard what you said. Are you crazy?"

"Maybe a little."

"I'll get in trouble."

"And I'll get caught." He stuck out a hand for me. I just stared at it. "Would you rather stand here all night looking miserable?" Again, I didn't take his hand.

"Try flowers next time. Girls like flowers," I said, only to get him away. To my surprise, the boy left without another word.

I was relieved until thirty minutes later, this asshole showed up again, this time with a single, white rose. He held it out for me. I just stared at him.

"Where did you get that?"

"Will you dance with me?"

I scoffed. "Do you ever stop?"

"Not really."

"What are the chances of you leaving?"

"Slim to none." Yet again, I didn't take his hand.

"I don't dance with people I don't know." Annoyingly, this didn't stop the boy.

"I'm Sorin Ackroyd Stryker- a soldier in training. I have a brother who is three years younger than I am. (I'm fourteen). My mom and dad are soldiers- both retired. My favorite color is blue. I enjoy training with the older boys. I hate school, and I fall asleep during Sunday service." He held the rose out further. "Will you dance with me?"

I tried to find any excuse not to, but the more I looked at him, at the same cocky grin I'd seen a few months before, I found I didn't want to. What was the harm in it, really? It was just one dance.

I smiled then, slowly, unbelieving. "Fine. One dance. And I hope you know I'm an awful dancer." Carefully, Sorin took the rose back, snapped the stem in half, and carefully placed the flower behind my ear, pushing my hair back with a strong hand. I noted the calluses.

My small, twelve-year-old heart skipped a beat. I was astounded at his boldness, but I'd read so many stories about love... I didn't mind. I had forgotten why I had once been mad at him.

"Don't worry. I'll catch you if you fall." Oh my god. Could I die from trying to contain a blush? Because this is not how I want to go...

That might be a lie.

He led me to the dancefloor, just to the edge. The music, a song I didn't know by name but knew it was popular in Ravaryn, was a good place between slow and fast. This was the first time I'd danced with another since I was young, but the memories came quickly. And then I was dancing with no control of my smile or my movements with a boy I just met and formally hated.

And it was amazing.

Sorin definitely knew what he was doing. I had no doubt he's done this before. He knew exactly when to spin me, his steps were graceful and light, the movements he guided me through were calculated. I found him smiling at me with a curiosity I didn't understand.

And by the time the song ended, we were both laughing and breathless. I had opened my mouth to say something, but there was a sharp voice I recognized all too well that cut me off.