𝟔.𝟐𝟏 𝐆𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧 𝐁𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐝

Start from the beginning

Malia looks at Deucalion skeptically and scoffs.
"I can keep my eyes closed." She says confidently.
"Well, go ahead. Close them." Malia does as she's told with an expression that indicates she thinks she's going to prove Deucalion wrong. However, Deucalion bends over and picks up a large stone on the ground before lobbing it at the shipping container behind her. The stone makes a clanging noise when it hits the corrugated steel, startling Malia so much that she flinches and her eyes fly open. Deucalion looks at her in exasperation and sighs.

"You're dead." He tells her. "I get it! It's gonna be a lot harder than I thought." Malia says with frustration laced in her voice. "But not impossible. What's next?" Scott asks him. Deucalion reaches into his pocket and pulls out four pieces of long black material as he walks toward them.

"In schools for the blind, it's called sleep-shade training. We'll use regular blindfolds." Deucalion hands them each a blindfold. "And we'll start with echolocation." He tells them "Sound." Scott says, simplifying it for the rest of them. "Then I'll show you how to use thermoception." Malia, not wanting to be outdone, interjects before Scott can."Heat." Scott looks over at Malia and smiles as Deucalion continues.

"Equilibrioception." Malia opens her mouth to speak before she realizes she doesn't know what it means. "Balance." Brett answers making Jules smile. "And proprioception." Everyone stayed silent as Jules smirked looking at Deucalion. "Jules?" She questions her as she looks to her group of friends before turning back to him.

"Pressure." She answers making not only Deucalion smile but Brett too. "You're good." Brett compliments her making Deucalion look at the two for a moment as he realizes what kind of relationship they're in.

"Go ahead." Deucalion tells them as they all bring the blindfolds to their eyes and tie them tightly around their heads.

"I hope you're all ready, because you're all about to be in a world of pain and frustration."

***

All four supernaturals had been walking around blindly, having their hands out trying to feel for anything in front of them as Deucalion spoke. "Normal humans use echolocation by creating sounds, like clicking the tongue against the roof of the mouth. Since your hearing is a hundred times more powerful, you can pick up natural reflected sounds." He hits a nearby shipping container with his cane, causing a loud clang to echo towards them. The sound seems to hurt their ears and startle them, as they all flinch when they hear it. Afterward, Deucalion deliberately moves to another location.

"I definitely heard that." Scott tells him as they try turning their heads to find where the sound came from. "But does it tell you where I am?" He asks them. Jules' head turns back and forth in an attempt to track Deucalion's voice. Malia seems to be struggling more with the effects of the blindfold and holds her hands out flat in front of her out of fear of an unseen attack. Brett and Scott seemed to be the only ones staying calm.

"Don't listen for me. Listen for the echo, the sound reflections. Use it to find me." Deucalion once again slams the end of his cane against the shipping container behind him. This time they're are prepared for the sound and they listen carefully to the sound waves echoing back and forth against all the different shipping containers as Deucalion circles around them.

"You all have superior hearing." He says as Jules accidentally backs up into Bretts back. "You need to focus it, like a weapon!" Deucalion spins and hits the shipping container with his cane again before turning the corner, leading them into the maze of the shipyard. Jules breathes to calm herself down as she successfully rounds the corner herself with Brett unknowingly behind her as he too was successful. Scott had also done a good job finding his way around. Malia seemed to be the only one struggling as she runs directly into the end of the shipping container.