Chapter Four

"Where would we go?" Sammy replies with hesitancy.

"Anywhere but here." I stand there, leaning against their front door with my arms crossed as they sit at the dining room table.

"It's not safe to leave." Sammy exclaims. "Nearly everybody out there is already a biter."

"Just like I told Johnny, if it's not the biters that get us it'll be dehydration or starvation. We need to find a secure place with a sufficient amount of supplies." I explain to her. She stares down at the table, running her fingers through her

long peach colored hair.

"I don't like it..." Her breath quivers. "Not at all." Johnny reaches out and grabs her hand.

"We will keep you safe, Bruce and I, I promise you that." Johnny says sincerely.

"Me too." David says.

"See." Johnny smiles. "You have more than enough protection."

"Nobody likes it..." I tell her. "But it's the way the world is now... survival of the fittest."

She looks up at me, staring me in the eyes.

"Okay," She says softly. "I trust you."

"Is everybody ready?" I ask, tossing my backpack and bag of clothes into the trunk of my Audi SUV.

"Ready." David tosses his bag of clothes in the trunk but continues to wear his backpack.

"Yeah... I guess so." Sammy tosses her bag and Johnnys bag in as well.

"Alright, lets hop in because there are several biters stumbling their way over here." I say, hoping into the drivers seat. Johnny takes the passenger seat while Sammy sits behind him, and David behind me. I take out my 9mm Baretta and set it down in the compartment between the two front seats.

"You a good shot with that thing?" Johnny asks.

"I'd like to think I am. My father taught me how to shoot when I was fifteen." I pull out of my driveway and set off on our journey.

"The first time I pulled that trigger it was... exhilarating. I had never felt so much power in my hands before." I smirk at the thought.

"Maybe you can teach me." David says.

"Someday..." I reply. "Not today."

"So. Where to now?" Johnny asks.

"Well." I look at the dashboard. "We have almost a full tank of gas, but having more will help a lot. I'm thinking we should check out that gas station down the road." I say. "Check for food and water too."

"Sounds like a plan, lets hit it." Johnny says.

The gas station is silent, other than the creaking of the dangling sign blowing in the wind. The front door is broken off and there's glass all over the cement. The front wall is charred, looks like there must've been a small fire.

"Why don't you two stay in here." I look back at David and Sammy. "Johnny and I will check it out. Should only take a couple minutes." I step out, grabbing my gun, flashlight, and hunting knife.

"Could you check the pumps?" I ask Johnny. "I'll go take a look inside."

"Sure. Be careful." He replies. I walk toward the doorless doorway of the gas station, glass inevitably crunching beneath my feet.

"Is anybody in here?" I call out into the darkness. After I hear no response I click on my flashlight and enter, hunting knife ready.

I get goose bumps all over my arms as the cool wind howls through the vacant gas station. Inside there is a strange eerie feeling. The ceiling light behind the cash register flickers on and off while every other light is off, giving the environment a more creepy vibe. I let out a sigh of disappointment as I look around, all of the shelves are empty, a few of them knocked over as well, blocking a couple isles. I walk past the isles, past the checkout counter to a door that says 'Employees Only'. It's locked, but that's a good and a bad thing. Bad because I can't get in, but good because there is likely supplies in there seeing how it's still locked. Suddenly my heart jumps as I hear glass crunch behind me.