Chapter 3

The curtains added an orange glow to the morning light, every morning had a perfect sunrise. I watched the ocean emerge under the golden shimmer, listening to the rhythmic waves, soft on the sandy shore. I felt my heartbeat at the same slow pace. I breathed in deeply; a new day had begun. A new house means a new journey. I reached out to the new curtain; the material was warm beneath my fingers. And when the sun flooded the room, I felt a little of those golden rays' soak into my tanned skin. I yawned and stretched my arms.

"Good Morning!" Mom walked in with a breakfast tray full of toast with jam and butter, pancakes with syrup, and a cup of orange juice. Then she approached me and put her hand on my shoulder. "How are you feeling today honey?" She kissed my cheek.

"Feeling better, how about you?" I smiled at her.

"I'm fine." She replied. "Such a lovely morning isn't it?"

"Yes!" I answered looking at the stunning view of the ocean, then I frowned remembering our old house and all the memories.

The ocean had always conjured comforting ideas into my head. Whenever I was completely lost in my own thoughts, I would close my eyes and visit them. The calm and gentle ocean, subtle and sweet, loud and dangerous as a tiger. There was nothing that calmed me more than the feeling of damp sand between my toes. And in this early morning, the only thing that comforted me was the rays that warmed my brown hair.

"What's with that . . . breakfast in my room?" I asked.

"Thought I would make your first day here so special."

After I ate breakfast; I started getting ready for my next day physically and emotionally. I stood at my balcony watching the sun dipping below the horizon. I've always loved sunsets and especially in Santa Monica. They're so aesthetic to watch.

I closed my curtains and got ready to take a bath. I slid down into the water, letting it block out the sounds around me. I wish the tub would expand so I could go swimming as I used to on hot summer Sundays in the woods with my father. Those days were a special treat. I felt the hot water running across my body, bubbles surrounding me. This was a new fresh start full of loads of opportunities.

Every end is a new start!  I said as I got out of the bath, and dried myself with the towels. I laid my back to my luxurious bed, then I turned on the side lamp next to me and got my book, and started reading.

I heard my phone buzzing and I thought it was from Ella. But I was mistaken, it was from Martin and he had sent a very long paragraph. I didn't want to open his message but I also really wanted to know what it was about.

Liliana, I know we had our ups and our downs throughout this week. But all I want you to know is that you'll always stay in my heart. I will never forget such a nice person like you. Thanks for everything and all I want to say is: I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I didn't want this to happen. I know that sorry won't help, and I know that you already moved on in your life, I know that it's too late as well. But you'll always stay special to me. Just remember that we're under the same sky. I just want to tell you that I hope you find the perfect guy that deserves you because I don't deserve such a girl like you.

Goodbye, sincerely Martin.

I was speechless. I really didn't know what to say. Whether to thank him or not. Whilst, I was thinking deeply about what to do in this situation. I heard my phone vibrating again.

I knew it was from Martin and I really didn't want to read it but as I grabbed my phone, it wasn't a message at all. It was a phone call, and meanwhile, I grabbed my phone I accidentally pressed the answer button and all I heard was his voice. I didn't want to answer his call. I didn't want to text him or say a word. I was shaking while grabbing my phone from my side table. The part I heard was (remember I will always love you) and then the call ended. I wanted to smash the phone. I didn't want to receive any messages from him or hear his voice again. I immediately deleted his number and blocked him on all my social media.

I grabbed everything I found on my desk and shuffled it to the ground. I went to my toilet's mirror and cried even harder. But whenever I looked at myself in the mirror, I saw a cowardly person, shy from her heart. How did I like such a person? Why Martin? Why?! I was shaking terribly as I poured cold water on my face. Then I looked up at the mirror and asked my stupid self. "Do you think that if I blocked him and got rid of his number, I will totally get rid of him? What about our memories, his voice, his face, and his figure? How can I get him off my mind?! How shall I stop thinking about him?!" I went back to my bed turned the side lamps off, and stared in the black darkness for a long time as I closed my eyes.